I Heart My Pet
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, July 26, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, July 19, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, July 12, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, July 5, 2014
- Dog trapped at bottom of 40-foot pit rescued
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, June 14, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, June 7, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, May 31, 2014
- Ask Mike: Saturday, May 24, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, May 17, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, May 10, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, May 3, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, April 26, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, April 12, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, April 5, 2014
- Dog found in Hamilton returning home to Texas
- Stray dog to get new home
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, March 29, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, March 22, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, March 15, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, March 8, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, March 1, 2014
- Behaviorists: Dogs feel no shame despite the look
- Stray dog Hank becomes big hit in Brewers camp
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, Febuary 22, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, Febuary 15, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, Febuary 8, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, Febuary 1, 2014
- Arizona shelter has 36-pound cat
- Labrador retrievers set popularity-ranking record
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, January 18, 2014
- 18 Dogs Rescued from Local Puppy Mill
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, January 11, 2014
- Ask Kelly: Saturday, January 4, 2014
- Deep Freeze Pet Safety: Bring Pets Inside
- Emergency Workers Use Gifted Tool to Save Puppy
- Ask Kelly: Sunday, December 28, 2013
- Ask Kelly: Sunday, December 15, 2013
- Ask Mike: Saturday, December 14, 2013
- Cat emerges alive from rubble of burned shelter
- Probation in Animal Cruelty Case
- Ohio Senate Considers Pet Protection Orders
- Panda Cub Learns To Crawl
- Social Media App For Pets
- Kayak Encounter With 80,000 Pound Humpback Whale
- Rare White Bengal Tiger Cub Born In A Peruvian Zoo
- Rare Sumatran Rhino On Brink Of Extinction
- Green Township Family Dog Drowns in Flooded Basement
Green Township Family Dog Drowns in Flooded Basement
Updated: Monday, December 30 2013, 03:51 PM EST
GREEN TWP, Ohio (WKRC) -- Recent heavy rains and flash flooding caused some property damage across the Tri-State. But, it cost a Green Township family something that can't be replaced... their dog, Elvis.
Bill Datillo put Elvis in his crate in the basement, then went to work. Hours later.. his daughter returned home to find the back yard, basement and Elvis under several feet of water. Local 12's Adam Clements spoke with the heartbroken family.
Kearstan Datillo told him, "There was a lot of people in our backyard..so that's when I kinda got a little scared."
Kearstan knew something was wrong when she got home from babysitting late Wednesday afternoon. She never imagined it would be so bad. "I've never seen anything like that before."
Kearsten surveyed the damage from the quick burst of heavy rain, the back yard was a pond. She noticed the water made its way through the garage and into the basement. Her focus quickly shifted to her dog Elvis.. locked in his cage.. "When I got down and saw how high it was, I knew the cage wasn't that high but I still thought maybe he was able to get out by the water pressure."
Kearsten's father Bill tells Adam, "I just figured it was a little water in the basement..you know. You always get a little ground water."
Bill was at work when he received her frantic phone call. "She said we can't..it's past our knees and waist. So I told her not to go down there. I didn't know about the electrical. And she was calling for the dog and no response."
There would be no response from Elvis.. the water was simply too high. Now Bill and Kearstan are left with a mess and the challenge of replacing what was lost except the one thing they can't replace. "We brought him in because of the heat. We crated him..put his water in there and thought he'd be fine for a couple of hours and it just happened that fast."
Kearstan consoles herself with this thought: "I know that he's in a better place now."
Bill tells us many of his neighbors experienced similar flooding.. and says his next door neighbor also had her dog in a cage in the basement. Fortunately though.. she was able to rescue her dog in time.