MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

St. Elizabeth Healthcare fundraising to get AED's in schools

St. Elizabeth Healthcare fundraising to get AED's in schools (WKRC)

COVINGTON, Ky. (WKRC) - The Saint Elizabeth Foundation Style Show is happening Monday, November 21.

The annual event teams up those who have unique holiday gifts with a fashion show and luncheon to raise money for a special piece of equipment that could help save the lives of student athletes in the Tri-State community.

Anthony Best, a Covington Catholic senior, plays football and runs track. It's been quite a season already for Best and a lot of other athletes at Covington Catholic.

Tony Bacigalupo of Covington Catholic High School said, “Our football team is 9 and 3 and they are playing in the state quarter finals, basketball starts next week.”

It will start on the court where all athletes know the rules: health and safety first. One of the most important pieces of safety equipment the school owns, they say, is courtesy of the team at Saint Elizabeth Healthcare. It’s an AED or Automated External Defibrillator. It can restart the heart in case of sudden cardiac arrest.

Brad Bolte of St. Elizabeth Healthcare said, “If you can provide an AED in the first minute of cardiac arrest you have a 90 percent chance of survival, every minute after that it goes down7 to 10 percent.”

Now there's a new push from somewhere in the building to somewhere on the court, a portable unit could make a big difference in saving students’ lives.

“So it's very important that we have AED's within close proximity to athletic events or anywhere where anyone could go down with a cardiac arrest,” said Bacigalupo.

That's where the Saint Elizabeth Foundation Style Show comes in. The money raised at this fashion show and luncheon will put portable AEDs in dozens of Tri-State schools.

At Covington Catholic where they have already started using the portable devices, Bacigalupo said, “It’s great, our trainers carry AED's at all times. We have trainers present at all our practices.”

Bolte said, “Absolutely, we never leave anywhere without them.”

The real goal is to have life-saving tools within reach whenever needed. The style show has a goal of helping to put a portable defibrillator in every high school in the area. They cost about $1,200 each. They hope to raise $25,000 with style show.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

Trending