Most Shared


text size

LEGO My Music Hall

How many LEGO does it take to build Music Hall?  Bring your family and find out for yourself when a 1/50 scale-model LEGO replica of Cincinnati's iconic landmark goes on display in the Music Hall Foyer from August 4-9, 2013. Built and designed by local LEGO enthusiast, Mark Clark, the model is 100 inches wide by 106 inches deep by 42 inches high.  Clark constructed the model to replicate Music Hall as it existed in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

 

The opening of the LEGO Music Hall exhibit in the Music Hall Foyer is scheduled for Sunday, August 4 from 5:00 PM " 8:00 PM (prior to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestras free Luminocity concert at Washington Park), at which guests can meet the model builder, Mark Clark.  The exhibit will remain on display from Monday, August 5 - Friday, August 9 from 10:00 AM " 6:30 PM.

In addition to the model, the exhibit will include images of Marks construction process and a register-to-win opportunity for prizes and merchandise from Music Halls resident arts groups (Cincinnati Arts Association, Cincinnati Ballet, Cincinnati Opera, Cincinnati Symphony/Pops Orchestras, May Festival, and the Society for the Preservation of Music Hall).

During the duration of the exhibit, Cincinnati Toys for Tots will have bins in the Music Hall Foyer to collect new, unwrapped toys from visitors.  These toys will be given as holiday gifts in December to underprivileged children in the community.

The LEGO Music Hall model includes the full building (Springer Auditorium and the North and South Halls), a turn-of-the-century chandelier, the Miami-Erie Canal behind the Hall (now Central Parkway) with a flatboat moving along the channel, a cobblestone Elm Street with horse-drawn buggies, and a few added surprises.  The rear of the model will be open so visitors can look inside the Hall to see the stage, seats, and balconies.

What I hope to achieve is to show the original intent of Music Halls design, to illustrate what the building looked like after the first renovation, and to provide a view of what it could look like after a restoration, said Mark. I wanted to do a large-scale build of an iconic Cincinnati landmark, and for me, Music Hall is the most beautiful historical building in the City.

When Mark first called me, I wasn't sure he was serious, said Scott Santangelo, Music Hall Director of Operations.  Now that the model is completed, I'm both impressed and overwhelmed. Marks attention to detail is truly impressive. Ive seen this sort of display in stores and at Walt Disney World, but to have Music Hall in miniature is amazing! 

LEGO Music Hall Fun Facts

  • More than 100,000 LEGO bricks.
  • More than 10,000 transparent blue dots that make up the Miami-Erie canal behind the building (this material is not included in the overall brick count).
  • 310 windows using more than 1,350 individual clear panels.
  • 960 seats in Springer Auditorium (with no spacing there would be more than 1,500)
  • 7.5 month build time.
  • Marks primary building material was a standard 2x4 brick which allowed him to purchase material in bulk from any LEGO store. He also used standard 2x2, 1x4 palisade, 1x2 palisade (to get the textured mortar look), various types of arches, and a large quantity of inverted sloping brick to do all the roofline cornices.
  •          90% of the building is standard materials and the remaining 10% was purchased from a collection of online LEGO storefronts, such as BrickLink.com.
  • The hardest part of the build was the large rose window and arch work above it.
  • The base floor (Orchestra level) of Springer Auditorium weighs 18 pounds, as it is solid and not hollow.
  • The only thing not original to the building is the Genius of Music statue, which was planned as part of Music Halls original design, but never implemented.  This is Marks tribute to the original vision of the Hall.

 
 
Advertise with us!