- Possible Connection Between Cincinnati Sinus and Migraines
- Urgent Plea for Blood Donors
- Couple Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer at the Same Time
- Medical Edge: Thanksgiving Holiday Eating
- Ask the Experts: Everolimus to Treat Breast Cancer
- Device Can Stop Excessive Sweating
- Improved Face Filler Available in the Tri-State
- New Technology to Melt Fat
- Cancer Doctor Says He's Inspired by Patients
- Medical Edge: Concussion Study
- Cyberknife Treats Prostate Cancer in Less Time
- Breakthrough Technology to Help Beat Prostate Cancer
- Medical Edge: Sweetener Options
- Local Doctor Honored
- Signing Up for Insurance at Florence Pharmacy
- Role Family History Plays in Heart Disease
- Testesterone Therapy Linked to Cardiovascular Issues in Some
- May We Help Organization Helps Man Paint With Mouth
- Local Man Loses Half His Weight After Embarassing Incident
- Sisters Share Their Dad's Story for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness
- Efforts to Lower Premature Birth Rates in Tri-State
- Raising Awareness for a Stroke Side Effect
- Dance Your TaTas Off
- Outreach Program Helps Moms Have Healthy Babies
- Center for Respite Care is a National Model
- Can Supplement Help Low Libido in Women Who Take Birth Control
- Medical Edge: Diabetes Dog Trained to Detect Symptoms
- Mobile Breast Cancer Diagnostics Van in Montgomery Today
- Medical Edge: Striders With Stollers
- Tri-State Doctor Helps Victims at Deadly Tennessee Bus Crash
- Ask the Experts: Bring Down Blood Pressure
- Medical Edge: Why get a flu shot?
- Learning Hands-Only CPR
- Woman Treated for Severe Incontinence
- Cancer Survivor Shares Story of Inspiration
- Ride 430 Challenge Fundraiser for Injured Military Members
- Ask the Experts: Loose Hip Joints
- Hike for Hospice, Support for End of Life Care
- Breast Cancer Prevention and Awareness
- Prescription Coverage Under Affordable Care Act
- Give Charlie a Chance
- Medical Edge: Allergy Relief
- Volunteers Needed for Avian Flu Vaccine Trial
- Universal Drug Testing for Pregnant Women
- Medical Edge: Designated Drivers
- Power is Teal Ovarian Cancer Walk
- Ask the Expert About Online Prescriptions
- 3D Plastic Surgery Preview
- Wellness At Work
- Heart Vest Saves Erlanger Man
- Medical Edge Wrap Week of Sept. 9
- Healthy Fall Foods
- Wear Teal Friday For Ovarian Cancer Awareness
- UC Medical Center Team Helps Burn Victim
- Program Offers Support For Mental Illness
- Chief Of Police Gets Liver Transplant
- What's New In Wound Healing?
- Eat Well The Lazy Way
- Avoiding Trips To Emergency Room
- Hospital Recognized For Patient Safety Effort
- Fighting "Hot Flashes"
- Silent Killer Needs Early Detection
- Massage May Help Reduce Hair Loss
- Do I Have to Gain Waist Weight?
- ChromaGen Vision Lenses
- Wellness Program To Live Longer
- Angelman Syndrome
- Youngest Inventor?
- The Benefits of How You Eat Chocolate
- Are Baby Carrots Safe?
- Shop And Dine To Your Hearts Content
- New Treatment for Brain Aneurysms
- Transplant Recipient Shares Her Story of Inspiration
- Author Writes Book On Pet Loss
- Summer Reading Program
- Ten Foods To Live Longer
- Pilates Helps Drop Baby Weight
- UC Health Seeks Patients For Lung Valve Trial
- Detox Diets
- Paxil As Hot Flash Therapy: What You Need To Know
- Teen Recovers From Brain Injury
- Laser Treatment For Heel Pain
- Explaining the condition that has affected singer Randy Travis
- Porsche Hosts Fundraiser For Disabilities
- Bikini-Friendly Gall Bladder Surgery
- Food Poisoning or Virus?
- Local Veteran In Heart Valve Study
- Mayfield Clinic Patient Gets First Implant
- GLP-1 Enhances Gastric Banding
- Healing Touch Therapy
- Local Family Holds 16 Hour Music Marathon For Alzheimer's
- Jewish Hospital Launches New Liver Care Center
- American Medical Association Says Obesity Is A Disease
- Treating Aortic Aneurysms
- Summer Skin Protection
Do I Have to Gain Waist Weight?
Updated: Monday, August 12 2013, 01:59 PM EDT
Do you have to gain weight, especially with age or during menopause?
That's the question Medical Reporter Liz Bonis "asks the experts" at TriHealth to answer in today's Medical Edge.
Dr. Vaishali Bhalani, TriHealth OB/GYN: "There is a known additive weight gain that can occur, and it's almost like a central weight gain as well, the ones that women don't necessarily want."
That central weight gain is often a common question for Doctor Vaishali Bhalani in this busy women's health office.
She often tells her patients, when hormones change during menopause...
"It is harder because your metabolism is decreased, so it is harder to fight off that weight."
But, she says, since so many people struggle with waist weight, new studies do show if that's where you tend to store your body fat, there are three things that can help you intervene.
You can't spot reduce, but aerobic exercise that gets your heart rate up, also helps boost metabolism. The national weight control registry shows keeping weight off requires 60 to 90 minutes most days of the week.
"I think the biggest goal in menopause is to maintain, and so that's harder to do, lose or maintain, because the metabolism is slowed down."
"In addition to that, however, you might want to swap a few foods in your diet, it appears that certain fats seem to work against waist weight."
Those fats are the kind found in olive oil, avocado's, and in nuts. Those who ate this fat, instead of butter fat, have been shown to have less waist weight.
Finally, don't underestimate the power of massage. Study in the Archives of Dermatology found it may reduce a stress hormone in the body called cortisol.
It, too, has been linked to waist weight, especially the type that seems to come on when you go through life changing events.
With experts at TriHealth's Premiere Obstetrics and Gynecology in Kenwood, Liz Bonis, Local 12 News.
We invite your health questions. Just click on "ask the expert."