- Possible Connection Between Cincinnati Sinus and Migraines
- Urgent Plea for Blood Donors
- Couple Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer at the Same Time
- Medical Edge: Thanksgiving Holiday Eating
- Ask the Experts: Everolimus to Treat Breast Cancer
- Device Can Stop Excessive Sweating
- Improved Face Filler Available in the Tri-State
- New Technology to Melt Fat
- Cancer Doctor Says He's Inspired by Patients
- Medical Edge: Concussion Study
- Cyberknife Treats Prostate Cancer in Less Time
- Breakthrough Technology to Help Beat Prostate Cancer
- Medical Edge: Sweetener Options
- Local Doctor Honored
- Signing Up for Insurance at Florence Pharmacy
- Role Family History Plays in Heart Disease
- Testesterone Therapy Linked to Cardiovascular Issues in Some
- May We Help Organization Helps Man Paint With Mouth
- Local Man Loses Half His Weight After Embarassing Incident
- Sisters Share Their Dad's Story for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness
- Efforts to Lower Premature Birth Rates in Tri-State
- Raising Awareness for a Stroke Side Effect
- Dance Your TaTas Off
- Outreach Program Helps Moms Have Healthy Babies
- Center for Respite Care is a National Model
- Can Supplement Help Low Libido in Women Who Take Birth Control
- Medical Edge: Diabetes Dog Trained to Detect Symptoms
- Mobile Breast Cancer Diagnostics Van in Montgomery Today
- Medical Edge: Striders With Stollers
- Tri-State Doctor Helps Victims at Deadly Tennessee Bus Crash
- Ask the Experts: Bring Down Blood Pressure
- Medical Edge: Why get a flu shot?
- Learning Hands-Only CPR
- Woman Treated for Severe Incontinence
- Cancer Survivor Shares Story of Inspiration
- Ride 430 Challenge Fundraiser for Injured Military Members
- Ask the Experts: Loose Hip Joints
- Hike for Hospice, Support for End of Life Care
- Breast Cancer Prevention and Awareness
- Prescription Coverage Under Affordable Care Act
- Give Charlie a Chance
- Medical Edge: Allergy Relief
- Volunteers Needed for Avian Flu Vaccine Trial
- Universal Drug Testing for Pregnant Women
- Medical Edge: Designated Drivers
- Power is Teal Ovarian Cancer Walk
- Ask the Expert About Online Prescriptions
- 3D Plastic Surgery Preview
- Wellness At Work
- Heart Vest Saves Erlanger Man
- Medical Edge Wrap Week of Sept. 9
- Healthy Fall Foods
- Wear Teal Friday For Ovarian Cancer Awareness
- UC Medical Center Team Helps Burn Victim
- Program Offers Support For Mental Illness
- Chief Of Police Gets Liver Transplant
- What's New In Wound Healing?
- Eat Well The Lazy Way
- Avoiding Trips To Emergency Room
- Hospital Recognized For Patient Safety Effort
- Fighting "Hot Flashes"
- Silent Killer Needs Early Detection
- Massage May Help Reduce Hair Loss
- Do I Have to Gain Waist Weight?
- ChromaGen Vision Lenses
- Wellness Program To Live Longer
- Angelman Syndrome
- Youngest Inventor?
- The Benefits of How You Eat Chocolate
- Are Baby Carrots Safe?
- Shop And Dine To Your Hearts Content
- New Treatment for Brain Aneurysms
- Transplant Recipient Shares Her Story of Inspiration
- Author Writes Book On Pet Loss
- Summer Reading Program
- Ten Foods To Live Longer
- Pilates Helps Drop Baby Weight
- UC Health Seeks Patients For Lung Valve Trial
- Detox Diets
- Paxil As Hot Flash Therapy: What You Need To Know
- Teen Recovers From Brain Injury
- Laser Treatment For Heel Pain
- Explaining the condition that has affected singer Randy Travis
- Porsche Hosts Fundraiser For Disabilities
- Bikini-Friendly Gall Bladder Surgery
- Food Poisoning or Virus?
- Local Veteran In Heart Valve Study
- Mayfield Clinic Patient Gets First Implant
- GLP-1 Enhances Gastric Banding
- Healing Touch Therapy
- Local Family Holds 16 Hour Music Marathon For Alzheimer's
- Jewish Hospital Launches New Liver Care Center
- American Medical Association Says Obesity Is A Disease
- Treating Aortic Aneurysms
- Summer Skin Protection
Pilates Helps Drop Baby Weight
Updated: Friday, July 26 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
If you recently had a baby and want to get rid of the "mommy middle", a few new moms say a combo-pilates workout is working for them.
They are almost back to pre-baby weight.
Medical Reporter Liz Bonis explains how they got there in todays Medical Edge.
When Emily Dixon and Melissa Anderson recently decided it was time to lose the baby weight they turned to Jessica Heizman.
Heizman runs Reform Your Core Pilates and says when it comes to why it works...
"Pilates is a series of exercises that focuses on using the core muscles to strengthen and stretch all the muscles of the entire body."
The core or center of your body is pretty relaxed after childbirth. Dixon recently gave birth to Aannalise, who's now nine months old, and already has Alexis who is 3 years old.
Emily Dixon, Mother:
"The more pregnancies you have the quicker your belly pops and the quicker your abdominal muscles stretch out."
Anderson found that out, too.
Her third baby, Brayde, is now 8 months old.
Melissa Anderson, Mother:
"I feel like it's been taking a lot more work for this one to get back to where I was."
So, both women now have been doing pilates on mats or reformer machines at least 1 to 2 days a week for the past three months.
"And while the tendency is to want to work only in the middle when it comes to losing the mommy middle, you really can't spot reduce, so that's why you need to work these other areas, such as arms and legs for a total body workout."
What works, however, is what they've also done in between home work, Heizman calls it, floor exercises such as knee hovers gently work the mommy middle and so to these gentle knee raises.
Push ups give you back your ability to easily lift the baby, which helps the mommy middle, too.
Dixon is already back to pre-baby weight.
Anderson almost there... not bad considering...
Anderson: "yeah, I gained like 50 pounds."
How much do you have to do of this combo workout to lose the mommy middle?
"After 10 sessions you'll feel a difference, after 20 sessions you'll see a difference, and after 30 sessions you'll have a whole new body."
As Jessica Heizman knows, you may even have a better one!
After Avery and Baily were born, she too has had to lose the mommy middle. At Reform Your Core Pilates in Mason, Liz Bonis, Local 12 News.
You can take pilates classes for as little as 20 dollars each.