- Possible Connection Between Cincinnati Sinus and Migraines
- Urgent Plea for Blood Donors
- Couple Diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer at the Same Time
- Medical Edge: Thanksgiving Holiday Eating
- Ask the Experts: Everolimus to Treat Breast Cancer
- Device Can Stop Excessive Sweating
- Improved Face Filler Available in the Tri-State
- New Technology to Melt Fat
- Cancer Doctor Says He's Inspired by Patients
- Medical Edge: Concussion Study
- Cyberknife Treats Prostate Cancer in Less Time
- Breakthrough Technology to Help Beat Prostate Cancer
- Medical Edge: Sweetener Options
- Local Doctor Honored
- Signing Up for Insurance at Florence Pharmacy
- Role Family History Plays in Heart Disease
- Testesterone Therapy Linked to Cardiovascular Issues in Some
- May We Help Organization Helps Man Paint With Mouth
- Local Man Loses Half His Weight After Embarassing Incident
- Sisters Share Their Dad's Story for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness
- Efforts to Lower Premature Birth Rates in Tri-State
- Raising Awareness for a Stroke Side Effect
- Dance Your TaTas Off
- Outreach Program Helps Moms Have Healthy Babies
- Center for Respite Care is a National Model
- Can Supplement Help Low Libido in Women Who Take Birth Control
- Medical Edge: Diabetes Dog Trained to Detect Symptoms
- Mobile Breast Cancer Diagnostics Van in Montgomery Today
- Medical Edge: Striders With Stollers
- Tri-State Doctor Helps Victims at Deadly Tennessee Bus Crash
- Ask the Experts: Bring Down Blood Pressure
- Medical Edge: Why get a flu shot?
- Learning Hands-Only CPR
- Woman Treated for Severe Incontinence
- Cancer Survivor Shares Story of Inspiration
- Ride 430 Challenge Fundraiser for Injured Military Members
- Ask the Experts: Loose Hip Joints
- Hike for Hospice, Support for End of Life Care
- Breast Cancer Prevention and Awareness
- Prescription Coverage Under Affordable Care Act
- Give Charlie a Chance
- Medical Edge: Allergy Relief
- Volunteers Needed for Avian Flu Vaccine Trial
- Universal Drug Testing for Pregnant Women
- Medical Edge: Designated Drivers
- Power is Teal Ovarian Cancer Walk
- Ask the Expert About Online Prescriptions
- 3D Plastic Surgery Preview
- Wellness At Work
- Heart Vest Saves Erlanger Man
- Medical Edge Wrap Week of Sept. 9
- Healthy Fall Foods
- Wear Teal Friday For Ovarian Cancer Awareness
- UC Medical Center Team Helps Burn Victim
- Program Offers Support For Mental Illness
- Chief Of Police Gets Liver Transplant
- What's New In Wound Healing?
- Eat Well The Lazy Way
- Avoiding Trips To Emergency Room
- Hospital Recognized For Patient Safety Effort
- Fighting "Hot Flashes"
- Silent Killer Needs Early Detection
- Massage May Help Reduce Hair Loss
- Do I Have to Gain Waist Weight?
- ChromaGen Vision Lenses
- Wellness Program To Live Longer
- Angelman Syndrome
- Youngest Inventor?
- The Benefits of How You Eat Chocolate
- Are Baby Carrots Safe?
- Shop And Dine To Your Hearts Content
- New Treatment for Brain Aneurysms
- Transplant Recipient Shares Her Story of Inspiration
- Author Writes Book On Pet Loss
- Summer Reading Program
- Ten Foods To Live Longer
- Pilates Helps Drop Baby Weight
- UC Health Seeks Patients For Lung Valve Trial
- Detox Diets
- Paxil As Hot Flash Therapy: What You Need To Know
- Teen Recovers From Brain Injury
- Laser Treatment For Heel Pain
- Explaining the condition that has affected singer Randy Travis
- Porsche Hosts Fundraiser For Disabilities
- Bikini-Friendly Gall Bladder Surgery
- Food Poisoning or Virus?
- Local Veteran In Heart Valve Study
- Mayfield Clinic Patient Gets First Implant
- GLP-1 Enhances Gastric Banding
- Healing Touch Therapy
- Local Family Holds 16 Hour Music Marathon For Alzheimer's
- Jewish Hospital Launches New Liver Care Center
- American Medical Association Says Obesity Is A Disease
- Treating Aortic Aneurysms
- Summer Skin Protection
Wellness Program To Live Longer
Updated: Wednesday, August 7 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
A new wellness program at Mercy Health Fairfield Healthplex is helping many people lose weight and up the odds of living longer.
In our Medical Edge, Local 12's Liz Bonis shows us why one man from Colerain says it's been his secret to success!
Bob Price has just completed Zach Miller's wellness discovery program.
Zach Miller, Personal Trainer:
"It is a five week introductory program to exercise, healthy eating, and stress management."
He's had so much success that after a recent doctor’s appointment for his diabetes...
Bob Price, Participant:
"He said your blood work is so good, we are cutting your medication in half."
"I've decided I am going to live to be 100."
What's interesting is that he just might get there. There are a couple of steps, according to a recent report, that you can take if you want to add years to your life. And then, of course, there are a few that appear to take years away. We are going to give you a few of these separate health habits so you can add them up or subtract.
For example, give yourself a point if you exercise 60 minutes most days of the week, if you eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables most days of the week, if you drink 2 to three cups of coffee a day, if you don't smoke, and if you drink no more than one alcoholic beverage a day.
Take away a point if you drink more than one drink a day, smoke regularly, eat red meat more than two days a week, are overweight, or sit at least two hours a day.
You see, when it comes to wellness...
"Wellness is an all-encompassing lifestyle change."
So you have to start, as Bob Price did, with the small steps.
"I go to the gym three times a week."
Steps, as he's finding, add up to some really big results.
For details on this wellness discovery program, you can call 513-942-PLEX (7539) or visit local 12 dot com.
You do not have to be a Healthplex member and it's offered at all sites for that 90 dollar fee.