Attorneys believe Cameo patrons paid to bypass metal detectors, got guns into club

Attorneys believe Cameo patrons paid to bypass metal detectors, got guns into club. (WKRC)

CINCINNATI (WKRC) - The family of Cameo Nightclub shooting victim O’Bryan Spikes is calling for witnesses, police and the prosecutor to bring everyone responsible to justice and answer some tough questions.

During an impromptu news conference in the Eden Park gazebo, eight members of Spikes’ family and their attorneys met with reporters.

Spikes’ sister Raquice Mitchell read a prepared statement that thanked everyone for the comfort and support they’ve received.

Mitchell also called upon witnesses to step up and cooperate with investigators. She called on investigators to do their jobs.

“We all deserve to know how the perpetrators of this crime were able to bring weapons into a club that apparently had metal detectors and other security measures in place intended to prevent this very thing from happening,” Mitchell said. “We want to understand the interactions of the Cincinnati Police Department in the security procedures leading up to the event and the night of the incident.”

Early on the morning of March 26, gunfire erupted in the crowded nightclub, wounding 17 people.

Police say a dispute between two groups that had started hours before outside the club boiled over inside. Spikes was killed in the crossfire. He was not involved in the dispute.

Cornell Beckley and Deondre Davis were charged with Spikes’ murder. Davis later died from wounds he suffered that night. Beckley now faces two counts of murder and several other charges tied to those who were wounded that night.

Cameo has since closed.

Spikes’ family has hired attorneys Chris Finney and Brad Gibson to represent them.

The attorneys said they believe people got guns in the club by paying security to bypass the metal detectors.

Finney called out club operator Julian Rodgers.

“Yes, we think there is great exposure personally and corporately for the nightclub operator,” Finney told reporters. “They were reckless in their conduct on a habitual basis. The owner clearly knew what his security force was doing and either allowed it to happen or instructed it to happen.”

Finney also laid blame at the feet of Cincinnati Police officers who worked on the security detail outside the club.

“I don’t think at this juncture there is any question that the police could have and should have done more. There was a complete interaction between the police and the nightclub operator for a period of many years and it resulted in the biggest mass shooting in 2017. Obviously, they should have done more.”

Local 12 attempted to reach Rodgers Tuesday afternoon through one of his attorneys. He did not call back. Cincinnati Police spokesman Lt. Steve Saunders referred all questions to City Manager Harry Black who chose not to comment.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off