City threatens SORTA that they may pull funding over driver wages
CINCINNATI (WKRC) - Cincinnati City Council is playing hard ball with SORTA over wages for some bus drivers.
City council may withhold $3 million for an insurance fund if some of its drivers don't get a raise.
Councilmember P.G. Sittenfeld delivered the message Tuesday morning at a board meeting.
Sittenfeld says some subcontractors for SORTA aren't making a living wage of $15 per hour.
City council passed living wage legislation last year.
"This happens to be one lever that the city can use to say we are dead serious about this and we're using it. We could have ratcheted up and started bigger but this is meant to let the SORTA board - who we see as our colleagues and collaborators - know that we're very serious about acting out our values through the broad application of this living wage ordinance,” said P.G. Sittenfeld.
Drivers with MV Transportation are contracted to drive access buses for people with disabilities.
They're suing SORTA and the city over the wage issue.