Ohio man among 7 victims killed in USS Fitzgerald collision
UNDATED (WKRC) – One of the sailors killed aboard the USS Fitzgerald is from Ohio, according to reports by the Associated Press.
Fire Controlman First Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr was from Elyria, Ohio.
He was one of seven men found dead inside their sleeping compartments on the ship yesterday.
Those compartments were flooded after the USS Fitzgerald collided with a Filipino container ship. The ship is three times the size of the destroyer.
Most of the crew was asleep.
Here are the other six sailors that were identified:
• Gunner’s Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Virginia
• Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, from San Diego, California
• Sonar Technician 3rd Class Ngoc T Truong Huynh, 25, from Oakville, Connecticut
• Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Noe Hernandez, 26, from Weslaco, Texas
• Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlosvictor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, from Chula Vista, California
• Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Maryland