Colerain grad, four from Ohio State, UK linebacker, Miami DB on Bednarik list
CINCINNATI (WKRC) - Indiana University senior linebacker Tegray Scales, who is a Colerain High School graduate, is among the players selected to the initial watch list for the 23rd Annual Chuck Bednarik Award, which has been presented to the College Defensive Player of the Year since 1995.
Chuck Bednarik was a former standout at Penn and with the Philadelphia Eagles and is a member of both the College Football Hall of Fame's Class of '69 and the NFL Hall of Fame's Class of '67.
Ohio State has for players on the list: sophomore defensive end Nick Bosa, senior defensive Tyquan Lewis, junior cornerback Denzel Ward and junior linebacker Jerome Baker.
Also on the list are University of Kentucky junior linebacker Jordan Jones and Miami senior defensive back Heath Harding.
The Bednarik Award is member of the National College Football Awards Association (NCFAA) which encompasses the most prestigious awards in college football. The members of the NCFAA are unveiling their preseason watch lists over a 12-day period this month. Seventeen of the association's 23 awards select a preseason watch list and the NCFAA has spearheaded a coordinated effort to promote each award's preseason candidates.
Semifinalists for the Bednarik Award will be announced Oct. 30, 2017, and the three finalists will be unveiled Nov. 20, 2017. The winner will be announced on the Home Depot College Football Awards Show held on Dec. 7, 2017.
Following is the entire 2017 preseason watch list calendar:
- Monday July 10: Bednarik Award / Maxwell Award
- Tuesday July 11: Mackey Award / Rimington Trophy
- Wednesday July 12: Lou Groza Award / Ray Guy Award
- Thursday July 13: Bronko Nagurski Trophy / Outland Trophy
- Friday July 14: Jim Thorpe Award
- Monday July 17: Butkus Award / Paul Hornung Award
- Tuesday July 18: Biletnikoff Award / Wuerffel Trophy
- Wednesday July 19: Davey O'Brien Award
- Thursday July 20: Doak Walker Award
- Friday July 21: Walter Camp Award