Local prep product, Ohio State duo, UK LB on Butkus watch list; 3 locals on prep list
CINCINNATI (WKRC) - Colerain High School graduate Tegray Scales, the Ohio State duo of Jerome Baker and Chris Worley and the University of Kentucky's Jordan Jones are among the 51 college linebackers selected to the initial watch list for the 2017 Butkus Award, while three area prep linebackers are on the high school watch list.
The award began in 1985 to honor the top linebacker in college football and has 51 players on the watch list to mirror the legendary No. 51 NFL jersey of the award’s namesake, linebacker Dick Butkus, who NFL Films considers the best defensive player in football history. It was expanded in 2008 to include a separate division for high school linebackers.
The three area high school linebackers on the list are Colerain's Dan Bolden, Chris Oats of Winton Woods and Xavier Peters of Lakota West.
Scales is a senior at Indiana University.
Appearance on the watch list is not required to become a winner.
Semi-finalists will be named Oct. 30, finalists Nov. 20, and winners will be notified on or before Dec. 5.
The National College Football Awards Association (NCFAA) which encompasses the most prestigious awards in college football, are unveiling their preseason watch lists over a 12-day period this month. Seventeen of the association's 23 awards select a preseason watch list and the NCFAA has spearheaded a coordinated effort to promote each award's preseason candidates.
Following is the entire 2017 preseason watch list calendar:
- Monday July 10: Bednarik Award / Maxwell Award
- Tuesday July 11: Mackey Award / Rimington Trophy
- Wednesday July 12: Lou Groza Award / Ray Guy Award
- Thursday July 13: Bronko Nagurski Trophy / Outland Trophy
- Friday July 14: Jim Thorpe Award
- Monday July 17: Butkus Award / Paul Hornung Award
- Tuesday July 18: Biletnikoff Award / Wuerffel Trophy
- Wednesday July 19: Davey O'Brien Award
- Thursday July 20: Doak Walker Award
- Friday July 21: Walter Camp Award