Saturday's area college football previews: UK, Miami, Thomas More, Mount St. Joe
CINCINNATI (WKRC) - Here is a look at Saturday's area college football games:
UK (7-6 in 2016) at SOUTHERN MISS (7-6 in 2016)
- WHEN/WHERE: 4 p.m. at M.M. Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, Miss.
- TV/RADIO: CBSSports Network; WCKY-AM (1530).
- OPENING LINE: Kentucky b y10.
- SKINNY'S PICK: UK 41, Southern Miss 27. UK is opening away from home for the first time since 2013 and will seek to avenge last season's embarrassing opening loss at home to Southern Miss when the Wildcats blew a 35-10 lead and lost 44-35. After a 4-1 start Southern Miss then lost five of its last seven regular-season games before beat UL-Lafayette in the New Orleans Bowl. UK bounced back from an 0-2 start to earn the program's first bowl berth since the 2010 season and have a strong nucleus back to perform payback for last season.
TOP 10 STORY AND VIDEO LINKS
- Local12.com: Video - Mark Stoops weekly press conference
- UKAthletics.com: GameDay central with preview, notes and links
- UKAthletics.com: Complete UK game notes package
- UKAthletics.com: Football team website
- Kentucky.com (Lexington Herald-Leader): UK coverage
- SouthernMiss.com: Southern Miss football team website
- Hattiesburg American: Southern Miss coverage
- AP: Linebacker Love ready for big season
- AP: SEC enters 50th season of integration that started at UK
- AP: 5 things of note about the game
MIAMI (6-7 in 2016) at MARSHALL (3-9 in 2016)
- WHEN/WHERE: 6:30 p.m. in John C. Edwards Stadium , Huntington, W.Va.
- TV/RADIO: Streaming live on Facebook; WDBZ-AM (1230), WMOH-AM (1450).
- OPENING LINE: Marshall by 2.5.
- SKINNY'S PICK: Miami 37, Marshall 31. Marshall shold be improved after taking a dive last season following three straight seasons of 10 wins or more, but that improvement has to start with its defense, which allowed 35.2 points per game last season. Miami has a large core back from the team that finished the 2016 regular-season with six straight wins after an 0-6 start to earn a bowl berth and now the question is can the RedHawks play with some loftier expectations.
STORY AND VIDEO LINKS
- MiamiRedHawks.com: Gameday Central
- MiamiRedHawks.com: Video - Head coach Chuck Martin's weekly press conference
- HerdZone.com: Marshall football team website
- JournalNews.com: Game preview
- JournalNews.com: Resuming a rivlary
FRANKLIN (8-2 in 2016) at NO. 19 THOMAS MORE (9-2 in 2016)
- WHEN/WHERE: 1 p.m. at BB&T Field, Crestview Hills, Ky.
- TV/RADIO: WCKY-AM (1530), tape delayed at 9 p.m.
- TMCSaints.com: Football team website
- TMCSaints.com: Preview and game notes
- FranklinGrizzlies.com: Franklin team website
- PACAthletics.org: Presidents' Athletic Conference football website
- D3football.com: National top 25 ranking
MT. ST. JOSEPH (6-4 in 2016) at CAPITAL (4-6 in 2016)
- WHEN/WHERE: 1:30 p.m. at Bernlohr Stadium, Columbus, Ohio.
- TV/RADIO: None.