Sept. 9 Area College Football Preview: Game/TV info; story/video links; predictions
CINCINNATI (WKRC/AP) - Here is a look at Saturday, Sept. 9, area college football games
CINCINNATI (1-0) at No. 8 MICHIGAN (1-0)
- WHEN/WHERE: Noon at Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- TV/RADIO: ABC; WLW-AM (700).
- OPENING LINE: Michigan by 34.5.
- SERIES RECORD: First meeting.
- SKINNY'S PICK: Michigan 45, UC 10. There is a chance the Wolverines suffer a bit of a letdown after their impressive opening win over ranked Florida, but they're defense didn't allow a touchdown in that game (the Gators returned two interceptions for touchdowns) and UC's offense was not very impressive in its opening win over woeful Austin Peay. The Bearcats should improve off that opening effort, but new head coach Luke Fickell needs a couple of years to re-stock the cup for them to be able to compete with a team like this.
TOP 10 STORY AND VIDEO LINKS
- Local12.com: Video - Luke Fickell weekly press conference
- Local12.com/AP: Michigan seeking more consistency from quarterbacks
- Local12.com: Video - Luke Fickell's weekly diary
- GoBearcats.com: Game preview
- GoBearcats.com: Complete UC game notes package
- GoBearcats.com: Minor off to strong start in middle of UC defense
- GoBearcats.com: Gantz stays even-keeled in kicking return
- AP: USC transfer ready to make his run for Michigan
- Freep.com (Detroit Free Press): Michigan coverage
- MGoBlue.com: Michigan team website
No. 5 OKLAHOMA (1-0) at No. 2 OHIO ST. (1-0)
- WHEN/WHERE: 7:30 p.m. in Ohio Stadium, Columbus.
- TV/RADIO: ABC; WDJO-AM (1480), WRBI-FM (103.9).
- OPENING LINE: Ohio State by 5.5
- SERIES RECORD: Ohio State leads 2-1. In addition to last year’s victory in Norman, the Buckeyes also topped the Sooners 24-14 in 1983, also in Norman. Oklahoma kicked a last-second field goal to edge the Buckeyes 29-28 in 1977.
- SKINNY'S PICK: Ohio State 41, Oklahoma 30. The Buckeyes faced a much tougher test last week than Oklahoma did, and while the back end of the Ohio State defense will face a tougher test than it did last week, the offense should be able to control the ball and score more than enough for a comfortable (enough) win.
TOP 10 STORY/VIDEO LINKS
- Local12.com: Video - Urban Meyer weekly press conference
- Local12.com/AP: Big battle in the trenches expected
- AP: Game at a glance
- AP: 5 things to watch/note
- Cleveland.com: Ohio State coverage
- Columbus Dispatch (BuckeyeExtra): Ohio State coverage
- WSYX TV, Columbus (abc6onyourside.com): Ohio State coverage
- OhioStateBuckeyes.com: Football website
- OhioStateBuckeyes.com: Complete game notes package
- NewOk.com (Oklahoman): Oklahoma coverage
EASTERN KENTUCKY (0-1) at UK (1-0)
- WHEN/WHERE: Noon at Kroger Field, Lexington. Ky.
- TV/RADIO: SEC Network; WCKY-AM (1530).
- OPENING LINE: No Line.
- SERIES RECORD: UK leads 4-0 and won last meeting on Oct. 15, 2015, 34-27, in overtime.
- SKINNY'S PICK: UK 48, Eastern Kentucky 14. The Wildcats never really got the offense in sync in their opening win at Southern Miss, but the defense played outstanding. This is UK's home opener, and while Eastern Kentucky has a put a scare into the Wildcats the last time they played, but that came in the middle of the SEC schedule. The Wildcats can name their score in this one.
TOP 10 STORY AND VIDEO LINKS
- Local12.com: Ware named SEC Defensive Lineman of th Week
- UKAthletics.com: GameDay central with preview, notes and links
- UKAthletics.com: Complete UK game notes package
- UKAthletics.com: 10 wins to remember among first 600 in school history
- UKAthletics.com: Football team website
- Kentucky.com (Lexington Herald-Leader): UK coverage
- Kentucky.com (Lexington Herald-Leader): Mark Story column - How much obligation should UK have to play in-state schools?
- EKUSports.com: Eastern Kentucky football team website
- Richmond Register: Two years later a lot has changed for both programs
- AP: 5 things of note about the game
AUSTIN PEAY (0-1) at MIAMI (0-1)
- WHEN/WHERE: 3:30 p.m. in Yager Stadium, Oxford, Ohio.
- TV/RADIO: ESPN3; WDBZ-AM (1230), WMOH-AM (1450).
- OPENING LINE: No line.
- SKINNY'S PICK: Miami 38, Austin Peay 20. Even though Austin Peay put a scare into the University of Cincinnati last week it should be noted that the Governors have won just one game since the start of the 2013 season. Miami will easily shake off the disappointment of last week's opening loss at Marshall, but it might not be quite the cakewalk expected.
STORY AND VIDEO LINKS
- Local12.com: Video - Chuck Martin weekly press conference
- MiamiRedHawks.com: Miami football team website
- LetsGoPeay.com: Austin Peay football team website
- JournalNews.com: Game preview
- JournalNews.com: RedHawks look ahead after frustrating opening loss
BRIDGEWATER, Va. (1-0) at NO. 18 TMC (1-0)
- WHEN/WHERE: 1 p.m. at BB&T Field, Crestview Hills, Ky.
- TV/RADIO: WCKY-AM (1530), tape delayed at 6 p.m.
- TMCSaints.com: Football team website
- BridgewaterEagles.com: Bridgewater eam website
- PACAthletics.org: Presidents' Athletic Conference football website
- D3football.com: National top 25 ranking
DePAUW (0-0) at MT. ST. JOSEPH (1-0)
- WHEN/WHERE: 6:30 p.m. at Schueler Field, Delhi.
- TV/RADIO: None.