High School Sports
- High School Football Scores: Friday, September 12
- High School Football Scores: Friday, September 5
- Family 411: Tackling the football debate
- High School football scores: Friday, August 29
- High School Football Scores: Friday, August 22
- CHCA senior Varga named Gatorade Ohio Baseball Player of Year
- Division I All-Ohio girls team
- CovCath vs NewCath highlights
- Weinrich replaces Mueller at Highlands HS
- RAW VIDEO: Somerset vs NewCath 11-29-13
- RAW VIDEO: Moeller vs Colerain 11-23-13
- RAW VIDEO: CovCath at Highlands 11-22-13
- RAW VIDEO: Loveland vs Mt Healthy 11-22-13
- RAW VIDEO: Winton Woods vs Mt Healthy 11-15-13
- RAW VIDEO: Clinton-Massie vs McNicholas 11-15-13
- RAW VIDEO: Southern vs Simon Kenton 11-8-13
- RAW VIDEO: Withrow vs Mt Healthy 11-8-13
- RAW VIDEO: Springboro vs Colerain 11-9-13
- RAW VIDEO: Northmont vs Elder 11-9-13
- RAW VIDEO: Owen Co vs NewCath 11-9-13
- RAW VIDEO: Urbana vs McNicholas 11-9-13
- RAW VIDEO: Pick Central vs Lakota West 11-9-13
- RAW VIDEO: St Xavier vs Moeller 11-9-13
- RAW VIDEO: Carroll Co vs Newport 11-8-13
- RAW VIDEO: Conner vs CovCath 11-2-13
- RAW VIDEO: Reading vs Mariemont 11-1-13
- RAW VIDEO: Lakota West vs Lakota East 11-1-13
- RAW VIDEO: Lebanon vs Springboro 11-1-13
- RAW VIDEO: Colerain vs Oak Hills 11-1-13
- RAW VIDEO: Cin Christian vs Lockland 10-25-13
- RAW VIDEO: Holmes at Highlands 10-18-13
- RAW VIDEO: Cin Christian at New Miami 10-18-13
- RAW VIDEO: Beechwood vs Bellevue 10-11-13
- RAW VIDEO: La Salle vs Moeller 10-5-13
- RAW VIDEO: Brossart vs Newport 10-4-13
- RAW VIDEO: Bellevue vs Holmes 10-4-13
- RAW VIDEO: Mt Healthy vs Ross 10-4-13
- TNL highlights: Conner at Cooper
- RAW VIDEO: Cooper vs Scott 9-27-13
- RAW VIDEO: New Miami vs CHCA 9-20-13
- RAW VIDEO: Princeton vs La Salle 9-13-13
- RAW VIDEO: McNicholas at Wyoming 9-12-13
CHCA senior Varga named Gatorade Ohio Baseball Player of Year
Updated: Tuesday, May 27 2014, 09:31 AM EDT
CHICAGO (WKRC) -- In its 29th year of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, in collaboration with USA TODAY High School Sports, today announced Cameron Varga of Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy as its 2013-14 Gatorade Ohio Baseball Player of the Year. Varga is the first Gatorade Ohio Baseball Player of the Year to be chosen from Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy.
The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Varga as Ohio’s best high school baseball player. Now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year, Varga joins an elite alumni association of past state award-winners in 12 sports, including Derek Jeter (1991-92, Kalamazoo HS, Mich.), Roy Halladay (1994-95, Arvada West HS, Colo.), David Price (2003-04, Blackman HS, Tenn.), Chipper Jones (1989-90, Bolles School, Fla.), Derek Lee (1992-93, El Camino HS, Calif.) and John Lester (2001-02, Bellarmine Prep, Wash.).
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound senior centerfielder led the Eagles to a 23-2 record and the Division III district championship game, scheduled for May 23. At the time of his selection, Varga owned an 8-0 record with a 0.00 ERA, 110 strikeouts and just four walks in 44 innings pitched. A 2013 Under Armour All-American and a 2013 First Team All-State honoree, he shattered a national record this season by striking out 32 consecutive batters, eclipsing the previous standard of 22 set in 1973.
Varga has maintained a 3.06 GPA in the classroom. He has volunteered locally on behalf of Habitat for Humanity, the Boys and Girls Club of America and the Special Olympics in addition to participating in a service-mission trip to South America in association with his church community.
“Cameron Varga has done an outstanding job for our team this season and has proven himself to be one of the best players in the country,” said Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy head coach Jeff Keith. “He is relentless and hard-working and we are blessed to have him both as a player and a teammate.”
Varga has signed a National Letter of Intent to play baseball on an athletic scholarship at the University of North Carolina this fall.
The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball, and boys and girls track & field, and awards one National Player of the Year in each sport. The selection process is administered by the Gatorade high school sports leadership team in partnership with USA TODAY High School Sports, which work with top sport-specific experts and a media advisory board of accomplished, veteran prep sports journalists to determine the state winners in each sport.
Varga joins recent Gatorade Ohio Baseball Players of the Year Andrew Benintendi (2012-13, Madeira High School), Adam Schaly (2011-12, Ashland High School), Taylore Cherry (2010 – 11, Butler High School), David Whitehead (2009-10, Moeller), Tyler Skulina (2008–09, Walsh Jesuit), Ryan Curl (2007-08, St. Francis DeSales), and Derek Dietrich (2006-2007, St. Ignatius) among the state’s list of former award winners.
Information courtesy Gatorade/fleishman.com