- Injured Reds pitchers begin throwing
- Grand slam powers Dodgers over Reds
- Cueto struggles vs KC
- Hosmer, Perez homer in Royals 9-5 win over Reds
- Hamilton steals again, but Mariners beat Reds 6-5
- Reds injury updates
- Price wins managerial debut, Reds top Indians 8-3
- Reds move Simon into starter role with Latos hurt
- Reds Futures High School Showcase expands to 72 teams
- C Pena gives Reds a Cuban connection
- Speedy Billy Hamilton takes over Reds leadoff spot
- Homer Bailey talks about his $105 million contract
- Joey Votto shares thoughts on Bailey's $105 million contract
- Bailey wanted assurances Reds committed to winning
- Reds, RHP Bailey agree to a 6-year deal
- First full-squad Reds workout Wednesday
- Reds, Homer Bailey agree on 105M, 6-year deal
- Homer Bailey, Reds GM Jocketty talk about negotiations
- Mike Berk talks to Homer Bailey about contract
- Cingrani trying for more than all fastballs
- Bailey says he is really close to deal with Reds
- Price settles in as manager
- 5 things to know about the Reds as camp starts
- Reds want players to keep beards, hair in check
- Johnny Cueto embraces role of Reds ace
- Latos has surgery for torn knee cartilage
- Reds pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear Friday
- Reds claim RHP Brett Marshall off waivers
- Griffey Jr., Larkin do baseball diplomacy in Cuba
- Diamondbacks agree to deal with former Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo
- Chapman and Reds agree on 5 million, 1 year deal
- Chris Nelson, Reds agree to minor league contract
- Reds avoid arbitration with three more
- Game times for Reds regular season schedule announced
- Reds agree to minor league deal with LHP Francis
- 2014 Reds Caravan set for Jan. 23-26
- Reds name Dragons coaching staff
- Riggleman, rest of Reds AAA staff returns for 2014
- Reds sign 10 to minor league contracts
- Ryan Freel diagnosed with CTE
- Reds and Yankees reportedly discuss trade
- Reds must replace Choo's production in lineup
- Former Reds Concepcion, Parker not heading to HOF
- Baseball Writers Association of America Announces Reds Performance Winners
- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
Updated: Wednesday, September 11 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
CINCINNATI (AP) - The last time Edwin Jackson's teammates gave him a comfortable cushion, he let it slip away.
The Chicago Cubs right-hander was determined to not let that happen again - and he personally helped make sure it didn't. He capped the Cubs' offensive outburst with a solo homer in the seventh as Chicago rolled to a 9-1 victory over the suddenly punchless Cincinnati Reds.
Welington Castillo drove in three runs with two home runs - his first career multi-homer homer game - and Donnie Murphy added a two-run shot as the Cubs kept adding on after taking a 5-0 lead through three innings.
''The last time my team scored a lot of runs, I gave it up,'' Jackson said, referring to an 8-6 loss at San Diego on Aug. 23 in which the Cubs led 6-0 before he stepped on to the mound. ''I said, 'That is not going to happen again.' (The Reds) had men on base in a lot of innings, but I was able to get out of it.''
Jackson hit his second career home run in the seventh inning on his way to his first win in seven starts since July 31. The Reds - who went into the game third in the NL Central, two games behind first-place St. Louis - saw their streak of consecutive scoreless innings reach 15 since a walkoff win over Los Angeles on Sunday. Then Zack Cozart and pinch-hitter Corky Miller hit consecutive doubles with one out in the seventh.
Jackson (8-15) allowed nine hits and one run with four strikeouts in seven innings.
The Cubs earned consecutive wins over Cincinnati for the first time since 2011, when they won on Sept. 7 in Chicago and Sept. 12 in Cincinnati - a span of 36 games. They clinched their first series win at Great American Ball Park since Aug. 3-5, 2009.
Losing two to the last-place Cubs right after taking three out of four from the Cardinals and sweeping the West Division-leading Dodgers left outfielder Ryan Ludwick mystified.
''We played two good teams and played really good baseball,'' Ludwick said. ''I don't know if you can call it a letdown. I don't know if you call it not focused. I don't know if you call it not enough energy. I don't know if you call it those guys came in to play spoilers. All around it was a bad game from the first inning on. I can't get a grip on it. I don't think anyone wanted to lose two to the Cubs. They're a major league team, but they're in last place, and we're trying to chase down a couple of teams in front of us.''
Reds starter Tony Cingrani, in his second start since coming off the disabled list on Thursday, left the game two outs into the second inning with back spasms. He had been sidelined since August 25 with a lower back strain.
''It was the same injury to Cingrani,'' manager Dusty Baker said. ''He warmed up great. He didn't feel anything. In between the first and second, he said his back was tight. It was devastating at that point. We had to go to the bullpen early. Thankfully, we have a day off on Thursday. The back end of my bullpen was beaten up pretty badly.''
Junior Lake led off the second with a double, giving him a seven-game hitting streak and his fourth streak of seven or more games since he was called up from Triple-A Iowa on July 19. Castillo followed one out later with a 470-foot homer into the upper deck in left field on a full-count pitch. Castillo's fifth homer of the season was his first since Aug. 10. Cingrani (7-4) left the game one out later.
''I don't think I've hit a longer one,'' Castillo said. ''I hit it a long way.''
Murphy added his 377-foot, two-run homer down the left field line on the first pitch he saw from Greg Reynolds in the third inning. Lake singled to right and went to second on right fielder Jay Bruce's error, and Darnell McDonald drove him in with a soft single to center field that Shin-Soo Choo appeared to midjudge.
Barney drove in Jackson with a sacrifice fly in the fourth and Murphy added an RBI double in the sixth before Castillo hit his second homer in the seventh.
''It was nice to (Castillo) have his first two-homer game,'' Chicago manager Dale Sveum said. ''He hit the big home run early that set the tone.''
NOTES: The Cubs will use a six-man rotation for the 12-game stretch that started on Monday, allowing RHP Scott Baker to get two more starts as he continues his comeback from Tommy John surgery. They will go back to a five-man rotation for the remaining eight games. ''Everybody will get their same amount of starts,'' Sveum said. ''Everybody will just get a little bit extra rest. It works out where (LHP Travis) Wood and (RHP Jeff) Samardzija will pitch against the Cardinals (in the season's last series).''... Reds LHP Sean Marshall said he felt good after throwing 23 pitches off the mound to live batters in simulated game action before Tuesday's game. Marshall has been on the DL since May 24 with shoulder tendinitis. ... Reds RHP Johnny Cueto is scheduled to throw about 45 pitches in another set of simulated innings before Wednesday's game. Cueto threw 30 on Sunday as he continues his comeback from a strained muscle below his right shoulder. He's been on the DL since June 29.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
CINCINNATI, OH - SEPTEMBER 10: Welington Castillo #54 of the Chicago Cubs hits the ball during the game against the Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park on September 10, 2013 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)