- Injured Reds pitchers begin throwing
- Grand slam powers Dodgers over Reds
- Cueto struggles vs KC
- Hosmer, Perez homer in Royals 9-5 win over Reds
- Hamilton steals again, but Mariners beat Reds 6-5
- Reds injury updates
- Price wins managerial debut, Reds top Indians 8-3
- Reds move Simon into starter role with Latos hurt
- Reds Futures High School Showcase expands to 72 teams
- C Pena gives Reds a Cuban connection
- Speedy Billy Hamilton takes over Reds leadoff spot
- Homer Bailey talks about his $105 million contract
- Joey Votto shares thoughts on Bailey's $105 million contract
- Bailey wanted assurances Reds committed to winning
- Reds, RHP Bailey agree to a 6-year deal
- First full-squad Reds workout Wednesday
- Reds, Homer Bailey agree on 105M, 6-year deal
- Homer Bailey, Reds GM Jocketty talk about negotiations
- Mike Berk talks to Homer Bailey about contract
- Cingrani trying for more than all fastballs
- Bailey says he is really close to deal with Reds
- Price settles in as manager
- 5 things to know about the Reds as camp starts
- Reds want players to keep beards, hair in check
- Johnny Cueto embraces role of Reds ace
- Latos has surgery for torn knee cartilage
- Reds pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear Friday
- Reds claim RHP Brett Marshall off waivers
- Griffey Jr., Larkin do baseball diplomacy in Cuba
- Diamondbacks agree to deal with former Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo
- Chapman and Reds agree on 5 million, 1 year deal
- Chris Nelson, Reds agree to minor league contract
- Reds avoid arbitration with three more
- Game times for Reds regular season schedule announced
- Reds agree to minor league deal with LHP Francis
- 2014 Reds Caravan set for Jan. 23-26
- Reds name Dragons coaching staff
- Riggleman, rest of Reds AAA staff returns for 2014
- Reds sign 10 to minor league contracts
- Ryan Freel diagnosed with CTE
- Reds and Yankees reportedly discuss trade
- Reds must replace Choo's production in lineup
- Former Reds Concepcion, Parker not heading to HOF
- Baseball Writers Association of America Announces Reds Performance Winners
- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
Updated: Wednesday, September 25 2013, 12:16 AM EDT
CINCINNATI (AP) - Mike Leake had one of those nights that happen to pitchers every so often. Bad timing for this one.
And now, the Cincinnati Reds face long odds against a second straight NL Central title.
Daniel Murphy hit a three-run homer off Leake, whose long streak of scoreless innings got shattered early, and the New York Mets beat Cincinnati 4-2 on Tuesday night, a costly setback to the Reds' hopes of another division title.
The Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates clinched playoff spots on Monday night, but hoped to chase down the first-place St. Louis Cardinals with closing surges. Leake's one very bad inning made that much less likely for the Reds.
Cincinnati fell a daunting three games behind St. Louis, which beat Washington 2-0 on Tuesday night. If they can't catch up, they are headed for the wild card playoff game next Tuesday.
"We'll forget about this one," manager Dusty Baker said. "Four games to go."
Leake (14-7) gave up four runs and eight hits in only 1 2-3 innings, matching the shortest start of his career. Wilfredo Tovar ended his scoreless innings streak at 21 2-3 with an RBI single, and Murphy's homer gave left-hander Jon Niese (8-8) the big lead.
"That happens," Leake said. "There was one pitch that blew it open for them. They just got me."
Niese kept lefties Joey Votto and Jay Bruce in check again, holding them to a combined 0 for 6 with four strikeouts. Niese allowed two runs and eight hits in seven innings. Vic Black faced three batters in the ninth, getting his first career save on his second try.
Eric Young Jr. had a single and a double, scored a run and stole his 42nd base for the Mets, who have won eight of 12.
It was a stunning outing for Leake, who has been the Reds' most effective starter lately. The right-hander allowed a total of two runs while winning his last three starts and getting his career-high 14th win.
Will the one bad start weigh in Cincinnati's decision about its postseason pitching staff?
"We aren't even thinking about that yet," Baker said. "Everybody's capable of a bad start. This is the first one in a long time for him.
"He didn't have his good control. He threw some balls over the heart of the plate and up."
Leake gave up two singles in the first inning before escaping. Mike Baxter led off the second with a double and scored on Tovar's single.
The right-hander got an assist when Bruce threw Tovar out at the plate as he tried to score from second base on Niese's single to right field, but it wasn't enough. Murphy's three-run homer on the 10th pitch of his at-bat made it 4-0 with two outs. When David Wright followed with a single - the Mets' eighth hit - Baker made the change.
Leake didn't look at his start as a final chance to make a bid for the postseason pitching staff. He was left off last year, but replaced the injured Johnny Cueto during Cincinnati's first-round series loss to San Francisco.
"Naw, I wasn't fighting for anything," Leake said. "They're going to decide whatever they decide. It's not a competition for anything."
Niese also got off to a rough start, giving up singles to Shin-Soo Choo and Brandon Phillips on his first two pitches of the game. He got out of that threat with the help of center fielder Juan Lagares, who nailed Choo at the plate as he tried to score on Ryan Ludwick's single.
Todd Frazier doubled in the second and came around on two groundouts.
Choo tripled - Lagares charged the ball and missed it - and scored when Votto grounded into a double play in the fifth, cutting it to 4-2. Votto is 2 for 15 in his career against Niese with seven strikeouts. Bruce is 2 for 13 with six strikeouts.
NOTES: Murphy's 13 homers are a career high. ... Young has 26 steals in the second half of the season, most in the majors. ... Leake also lasted 1 2-3 innings on July 30 last season against San Diego. ... Leake's scoreless streak was the longest by a Reds starter since Tom Browning threw 23 straight scoreless innings in 1990, when the Reds won the World Series. ... Baker said the Reds haven't decided how RHP Johnny Cueto fits into their postseason rotation and whether rookie Billy Hamilton will be on the playoff roster. ... The series concludes with a day game on Wednesday. RHP Mat Latos (14-6) starts for Cincinnati against RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka (2-3).