- Injured Reds pitchers begin throwing
- Grand slam powers Dodgers over Reds
- Cueto struggles vs KC
- Hosmer, Perez homer in Royals 9-5 win over Reds
- Hamilton steals again, but Mariners beat Reds 6-5
- Reds injury updates
- Price wins managerial debut, Reds top Indians 8-3
- Reds move Simon into starter role with Latos hurt
- Reds Futures High School Showcase expands to 72 teams
- C Pena gives Reds a Cuban connection
- Speedy Billy Hamilton takes over Reds leadoff spot
- Homer Bailey talks about his $105 million contract
- Joey Votto shares thoughts on Bailey's $105 million contract
- Bailey wanted assurances Reds committed to winning
- Reds, RHP Bailey agree to a 6-year deal
- First full-squad Reds workout Wednesday
- Reds, Homer Bailey agree on 105M, 6-year deal
- Homer Bailey, Reds GM Jocketty talk about negotiations
- Mike Berk talks to Homer Bailey about contract
- Cingrani trying for more than all fastballs
- Bailey says he is really close to deal with Reds
- Price settles in as manager
- 5 things to know about the Reds as camp starts
- Reds want players to keep beards, hair in check
- Johnny Cueto embraces role of Reds ace
- Latos has surgery for torn knee cartilage
- Reds pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear Friday
- Reds claim RHP Brett Marshall off waivers
- Griffey Jr., Larkin do baseball diplomacy in Cuba
- Diamondbacks agree to deal with former Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo
- Chapman and Reds agree on 5 million, 1 year deal
- Chris Nelson, Reds agree to minor league contract
- Reds avoid arbitration with three more
- Game times for Reds regular season schedule announced
- Reds agree to minor league deal with LHP Francis
- 2014 Reds Caravan set for Jan. 23-26
- Reds name Dragons coaching staff
- Riggleman, rest of Reds AAA staff returns for 2014
- Reds sign 10 to minor league contracts
- Ryan Freel diagnosed with CTE
- Reds and Yankees reportedly discuss trade
- Reds must replace Choo's production in lineup
- Former Reds Concepcion, Parker not heading to HOF
- Baseball Writers Association of America Announces Reds Performance Winners
- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Price settles in as manager
Updated: Sunday, February 16 2014, 12:28 PM EST
GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) -- Bryan Price sat down in the cushy chair. In front of him was a desk. Behind him, two lockers of his very own. The first-time Cincinnati Reds manager felt a little out of place in his own office.
The Reds open spring training on Friday when pitchers and catchers report and have their first workout. Price will be front-and-center, a new role for the former pitching coach who took over when Dusty Baker was fired after another playoff disappointment.
''I told the guys in our (staff) meeting, 'You better make sure you come in here and keep me company,''' Price said on Thursday afternoon. ''I'm not used to being in a room by myself, unless I'm in the doghouse. Been there a few times.''
And he will be again once the games begin and one of his moves backfires. Ask Baker about that one.
Baker got fired after leading the Reds to the playoffs for the third time in four years. They lost to Pittsburgh in the wild card game, the third time they were knocked out in the opening round. The postseason fizzle cost Baker his job and gave Price the chance to manage a team with plenty of talent to contend.
He knows the team will be judged not on whether it reaches the playoffs, but whether it wins when it gets there. Just like the Bengals, who have lost their opening playoff game each of the last three seasons, the Reds aren't going to get a final grade until well after the regular season has ended.
Price isn't going to dwell on it with his players.
''For me, the references - if any - will be very short in discussing the past,'' he said. ''There's nothing we can do about it. I've inherited a phenomenal group of guys that really want to play this game beyond where we've been.''
The Reds are in good shape as they get started.
The pitching staff is mostly healthy. Reliever Jonathan Broxton had surgery to repair a tear in his forearm last August and has been making good progress in his throwing program during the offseason. He's the only one who may not be fully ready for opening day.
''He's stayed constant in his throwing progress, which is terrific,'' Price said. ''And we definitely anticipate him being on the mound this month. If that's enough time to get him ready for the season, we'll see. We'll probably have a lot better answer when we get into those last 10 days of March.''
Right-hander Johnny Cueto has fully recovered from strained muscles in his right side that bothered him most of last season. Cueto wound up on the disabled list three times, limiting him to 11 starts.
''That being said, you're talking about a guy who ended the season healthy and there shouldn't be any impediments to his spring training based on last year,'' Price said. ''We can hit the ground running without any inhibitions.''
Left-hander Tony Cingrani has recovered from back spasms that limited him during his rookie season. Cingrani moves into the spot that opened when Bronson Arroyo left as a free agent, signing with Arizona.
The Reds keep in touch with players in the offseason to monitor their health. So far, the reports on all of them are encouraging, although the club will know for sure when they take physicals on Friday before the first workout.
''So it's probably an easier question to answer once we get through physicals tomorrow, but I'm optimistic we'll be in good health,'' Price said.
NOTES: Price is curious whether the bad weather on the East Coast will interfere with players' travel. He said four club officials who were expected for a staff meeting on Thursday couldn't make it because their flights were canceled. ... The position players report next Wednesday for physicals and the first full-squad workout. The Reds open their spring training schedule against the Indians on Feb. 26.
Follow Joe Kay on Twitter: http://twitter.com/apjoekay