- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Reds get well against Astros
Updated: Tuesday, September 17 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
HOUSTON (AP/ Jordan Garretson) -- Monday couldn't have gone much better for the Cincinnati Reds.
Not only did Johnny Cueto impress in his return, leading the club to a series-opening victory over the Houston Astros, but the two squads they're chasing in the NL Central both suffered defeats.
They figure to have another good chance to put pressure on the division leaders on Tuesday night, considering both Joey Votto and Mike Leake's histories in Houston.
The Reds (85-66) claimed a 6-1 victory over the Astros on Monday behind Cueto's five scoreless innings in his first start since late June after being out with a strained lat muscle.
"That's a tremendous shot in the arm for our team," manager Dusty Baker said. "Guys were psyched that he was out there."
Joey Votto was 2 for 4, recording his seventh multihit game in his last 10 contests, and is batting .494 during a 22-game hitting streak at Minute Maid Park.
Cincinnati has split its last eight contests but Monday saw St. Louis and Pittsburgh lose to Colorado and San Diego, respectively, trimming the NL Central deficit to 2 1/2 games. Washington, which had won 10 of 12 before having its Monday game versus Atlanta postponed due to the Navy Yard shootings, trails the Reds by five games for a wild-card spot.
In addition to Votto's hot hitting in Houston, Leake (13-6, 3.35 ERA) has enjoyed pitching there, going 4-1 with a 2.62 ERA in five starts. He won all three of his outings at Minute Maid Park last season while posting a 2.14 ERA.
Overall, Leake has won back-to-back starts after notching a victory just once in his previous seven. He surrendered four hits over 5 2-3 innings of a 6-0 win over the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday, his career-best 13th victory of the year.
"I didn't have my best stuff," said Leake, who also tied a season high by walking four batters. "Sometimes you have a few games where a couple of pitches beat you. I was able to make pitches and it worked out."
Leake faces a Houston club suddenly starved for runs after a hot streak. They scored 34 while winning four in a row last week, but have since tallied four runs while dropping three straight.
Jose Altuve remains hot, however, going 2 for 4 Monday to raise his average to .439 over the last 15 games. All-Star catcher Jason Castro didn't play again as the club wants to see how his injured right knee responds to treatment.
The Astros (51-99) will hand the ball to Jordan Lyles (7-7, 4.92), who has gone 3-1 over his last five starts with a 3.31 ERA, throwing at least six innings in each. He became the team's wins leader after giving up two runs and four hits over six innings of a 13-2 win in Seattle last Tuesday.
He's 2-0 with a 3.60 ERA in three career starts versus Cincinnati. Votto is 5 for 7 off him with a homer and a pair of doubles, and Zack Cozart is 3 for 5 with a home run and two doubles.
Cozart snapped out of a 1-for-15 slump Monday by driving in four runs, including a two-run homer in the second inning.
Houston's next defeat will clinch the franchise's third consecutive 100-loss season.
"I feel like we've been playing better,'' first baseman Chris Carter said. "It's just looking at the season as how we finish it instead of how we started it as a whole. Just looking to finish strong and keep playing good games. Hopefully that rolls into next year and we have a good season after that.''
HOUSTON, TX - SEPTEMBER 16: Zack Cozart #2 of the Cincinnati Reds receives congratulations from Jay Bruce #32 of the Cincinnati Reds and Ryan Hanigan #29 of the Cincinnati Reds after hittting a home run in the second inning against the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park on September 16, 2013 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)