- Injured Reds pitchers begin throwing
- Grand slam powers Dodgers over Reds
- Cueto struggles vs KC
- Hosmer, Perez homer in Royals 9-5 win over Reds
- Hamilton steals again, but Mariners beat Reds 6-5
- Reds injury updates
- Price wins managerial debut, Reds top Indians 8-3
- Reds move Simon into starter role with Latos hurt
- Reds Futures High School Showcase expands to 72 teams
- C Pena gives Reds a Cuban connection
- Speedy Billy Hamilton takes over Reds leadoff spot
- Homer Bailey talks about his $105 million contract
- Joey Votto shares thoughts on Bailey's $105 million contract
- Bailey wanted assurances Reds committed to winning
- Reds, RHP Bailey agree to a 6-year deal
- First full-squad Reds workout Wednesday
- Reds, Homer Bailey agree on 105M, 6-year deal
- Homer Bailey, Reds GM Jocketty talk about negotiations
- Mike Berk talks to Homer Bailey about contract
- Cingrani trying for more than all fastballs
- Bailey says he is really close to deal with Reds
- Price settles in as manager
- 5 things to know about the Reds as camp starts
- Reds want players to keep beards, hair in check
- Johnny Cueto embraces role of Reds ace
- Latos has surgery for torn knee cartilage
- Reds pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear Friday
- Reds claim RHP Brett Marshall off waivers
- Griffey Jr., Larkin do baseball diplomacy in Cuba
- Diamondbacks agree to deal with former Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo
- Chapman and Reds agree on 5 million, 1 year deal
- Chris Nelson, Reds agree to minor league contract
- Reds avoid arbitration with three more
- Game times for Reds regular season schedule announced
- Reds agree to minor league deal with LHP Francis
- 2014 Reds Caravan set for Jan. 23-26
- Reds name Dragons coaching staff
- Riggleman, rest of Reds AAA staff returns for 2014
- Reds sign 10 to minor league contracts
- Ryan Freel diagnosed with CTE
- Reds and Yankees reportedly discuss trade
- Reds must replace Choo's production in lineup
- Former Reds Concepcion, Parker not heading to HOF
- Baseball Writers Association of America Announces Reds Performance Winners
- Reds Release 2014 Cactus League Schedule
- Reds Announce 2014 Coaching Staff
- Reds Hall of Fame Announces Class of 2014
- Reds acquire Holmberg from Ari, Send Hanigan to TB
- Reds non-tender OFs Paul, Robinson
- Reports: Parra re-signs with Reds
- Schumaker, Reds complete $5 million, 2-year deal
- Sean Casey on Hall of Fame ballot
- Reds add four to 40-man
- Report: Skip Schumaker signs two-year contract with Reds
- Choo turns down Reds contract offer
- Redsfest tickets on sale
- Reds agree in principle to deal with C Pena
- Jay Bruce wins 2nd straight Silver Slugger Award
- Report: Yankees inquire about Phillips
- Reds do not make offer to Arroyo, 4 others
- Reds make qualifying offer to Choo
- Concepcion 1 of 12 candidates on the Expansion Era Hall of Fame ballot
- 5 Dates for Reds Fans this Offseason
- Phillips wins 4th Gold Glove
- Yankees Interested in Choo?
- Watch Bryan Price's Press Conference
- Reds choose Bryan Price for next manager
- Reds To Introduce New Manager Bryan Price At 3:00 P.M. Press Conference Today
- Cincinnati Reds Name New Manager
- Reports indicating Reds are shopping 2B Phillips
- Reds' Latos Undergoes Surgery
- Dusty Baker to Replace Nationals' Manager?
- Bruce nominated for Hank Aaron Award
- Reds minor leaguer suspended
- Local Reaction to Baker's Leave
- Fans Not Suprised Dusty Baker Was Fired
- Dusty Baker Fired as Reds Manager
- Reds Face Big Questions in Offseason
- Reds stayed pat, paid for it in playoffs
- Mat Latos' Wife Alleges Attack at PNC Park
- Police: No charges in fight involving Reds' wife
- Pirates beat Reds 6-2 in NL wild-card game
- Red's Wild Card Playoff Game
- Reds Race For the Pennant
- Rookies on wild-card rosters for Reds, Pirates
- Brad Talks Wildcard Playoff Game Against The Pirates
- Pirates hoping for more than cameo in playoffs
- Reds get set for Tuesday showdown
- Bumpus Jones: Who is he and why is he in the news?
- Pirates sweep series, await Reds in Wild Card
- Reds' Latos out for wild card game with sore elbow
- Reds game Tuesday starts at 8:05pm
- Cueto tapped to start Tuesday's Wild Card game at Pittsburgh
- Arroyo shelled, Pirates beat Reds 8-3 for home-field advantage
- Pirates tie HR record at Great American Ball Park
- Reds face must-win for home playoff game
- Pirates take upper-hand in pivotal final series, beat Reds 4-1
- Ludwick calls out Reds fans
- Reds postgame vs Mets
- Reds eliminated from Central race with Cardinals win
- Matsuzaka pitches Mets to 1-0 win over Reds
- Reds Fans Break Ballpark Attendance Record
- Mets rock Leake, give Reds costly 4-2 defeat
- Cueto's return gives Reds their ace for playoffs
- Buc up! Pirates, Reds punch playoff tickets
- Reds clinch playoff berth, beat Mets 3-2 in 10th
- Reds leave Pittsburgh with a big win
- Votto error costly, Reds drop contest to Pirates, 4-2
- Reds game time changed
- Votto HR lifts Reds into a Wild Card tie
- Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
- Marty Brennaman Signs Contract Extension
- Wild Card & NLDS tickets to go on sale
- Hamilton in starting lineup for Reds
- Reds hand Astros 100th loss, 10-0
- Reds get well against Astros
- Arroyo is Clemente Award Nominee
- Cueto solid in return; Reds top Astros 6-1
- Halton's homer walks off Reds
- Cueto set to start Monday
- Choo, Votto go deep in Reds win
- Lohse, Gomez deal Reds 5-1 loss
- Reds talk after win over Cubs
- Mesoraco, Hannahan power Reds to 6-0 win over Cubs
- Reds try to avoid Cubs sweep
- Police and Fire Appreciation Day at GABP
- Castillo homers twice as Cubs rout Reds 9-1
- Reds to open 2014 season hosting Cardinals
- Former Reds player approaching Japanese HR record
- Wood, Cubs stall Reds' surge with 2-0 win
- Bruce crushes two HRs, Reds win in last at bat
- Billy Hamilton, Reds shake Dodgers in extras
- Reds unveil Morgan statue, Rose attends
- Votto homers, lifts Reds over Dodgers
- Reds crush Lynn, take three of four from Cards
- Joe Morgan Statue Dedication Details
- Adams' HRs send Cardinals over Reds 5-4 in 16
- Hamilton's run, Chapman's fastball give Reds speed
- 1-on-1 with Bronson Arroyo
- Reds discuss win vs Padres
- Reds Analysis with Mike Berk, Richard Skinner and Dave Collins
- Homer Bailey Tosses Second No-Hitter In Reds Win
Reds and Pirates Set to Meet in Critical Series
Updated: Friday, September 20 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
PITTSBURGH (Noey Kupchan, STATS Writer/AP) -- Currently atop the wild-card standings, the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds know what's at stake this weekend.
Pittsburgh's Francisco Liriano goes toe-to-toe with Cincinnati's Mat Latos as these NL Central rivals open a crucial three-game set Friday night at PNC Park.
After managing four runs during a three-game skid, the Pirates (88-65) beat San Diego 10-1 on Thursday to move one game ahead of the Reds (87-66) in the wild-card standings and also one game behind St. Louis for the division lead. These teams play six of their final nine regular-season games against each other.
"We are going to hold our destiny in our hands the next week and a half," Latos told MLB's official website.
"It's going to be really exciting. I'm juiced," said Reds third baseman Todd Frazier, batting .350 during a 10-game hitting streak against the Pirates. "You're going to feel a little fall atmosphere. Hopefully, it's a little nippy out there. I love it like that. It keeps me in tune. Hopefully, it will be a packed house, and a lot of craziness will happen and we come out with victories."
While Liriano (16-7, 2.92 ERA) is enjoying the best season of his career, he has compiled a 4.41 ERA in losing each of his three starts against the Reds. Pittsburgh, though, has backed him with only one total run in those games.
The left-hander is 8-1 with a 1.37 ERA at home, with his only loss coming 2-0 to Cincinnati on June 1. Shin-Soo Choo is 6 for 27 with nine strikeouts in their matchups, and Jay Bruce is 0 for 8.
Liriano took a no-hitter into the seventh inning before surrendering a two-run homer in Sunday's 3-2 win over the Chicago Cubs, resulting in his first no-decision.
"He battles and he competes," manager Clint Hurdle said of Liriano, who was removed after 107 pitches. "Francisco's a pro and he realizes it wouldn't benefit anyone for him to throw 130 pitches on Sept. 15."
Latos (14-6, 3.14) had gone 6-2 with a 2.15 ERA in his previous 10 starts before yielding all five runs in 6 2-3 innings last Friday in a 5-1 loss at Milwaukee.
"It's just one of those days where you just have to hit the reset button and go after them again the next time you go out," he said.
Latos is 5-1 with a 2.66 ERA and 67 strikeouts in 10 career starts against the Pirates spanning 61 innings. He has had his way with several of their hitters, including Pedro Alvarez (5 for 22), Clint Barmes (1 for 15), Garrett Jones (2 for his last 21) and Starling Marte (2 for 13).
Alvarez snapped an 0-for-18 slump with his 34th homer Thursday, tied for the most in the NL. Marte missed the game due to the birth of his first child, leaving his status for this one unclear.
The Reds are coming off a three-game sweep at Houston, winning 6-5 in 13 innings Wednesday. Bruce stayed hot with three hits and three RBIs, delivering a tiebreaking two-run double in the 13th.
The slugging right-fielder is 9 for 17 with a homer and 10 RBIs in his last four games.
Cincinnati also got a boost from speedster Billy Hamilton, who went 3 for 4 with two runs and became the first player since 1920 to steal four bases in his first big league start.
"My job is to steal bases, no matter how many I get," said Hamilton, who has nine steals in as many tries in eight games since getting called up Sept. 2. "That's a really big accomplishment for one game. So who knows what comes next."
CINCINNATI, OH - JULY 21: Clint Barmes #12 of the Pittsburgh Pirates turns a double play against Chris Heisey #28 of the Cincinnati Reds during the game at Great American Ball Park on July 21, 2013 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Pirates won 3-2. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)