Early look at 2018 NFL Draft & how OSU players could dominate picks... again
CINCINNATI (WKRC) - One year after a dozen Ohio State football players were selected in the NFL Draft, seven more were picked in 2017-- including six in the first three rounds and three members of the secondary in the first round alone. Moreover, if mock drafts are any indication, the Buckeyes could dominate the 2018 event, as well.
Defensive end Tyquan Lewis is the reigning Big Ten Defensive Lineman of the Year and is considered first round talent by most analysts. Fellow defensive end Sam Hubbard had 6.5 sacks last season and also merits heavy first round consideration. Coming off a season in which he totaled 83 tackles and a pair of interceptions, Jerome Baker is one of the top-10 (if not top-5) linebackers expected to be available. Plus, a school which has had DBs Eli Apple, Marshon Lattimore, Malik Hooker and Gareon Conley as recent first round picks has another candidate in cornerback Denzel Ward.
Local 12 has compiled a number of way-too-early 2018 mock drafts and Ohio State players are littered throughout:
- CBS Sports has Lewis and Hubbard (to the Bengals) in the first round
- Fox Sports has Hubbard and Lewis in the first round with WR Parris Campbell, LB Dante Booker and OG Billy Price as second round picks
- 247Sports has Lewis, Ward and Hubbard among the top 32 talents
- Bleacher Report has Baker, DL Dre-Mont Jones and Ward in the first round
- Sports Illustrated has Lewis and Hubbard in the first round
- WalterFootball.com has Hubbard, Lewis and Campbell in the first round
- SB Nation has Hubbard (to the Bengals), Lewis and RB Mike Weber in the first round
- Sporting News has Hubbard (to the Bengals), S Damon Webb and Lewis in the first round