MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Former Buckeye Conley calls accusations "wrongful and malicious"

Gareon Conley says he has video evidence that the sexual assault accusations against him are not true. (WSYX/WTTE)

Former Ohio State football player Gareon Conley issued a statement Wednesday about the accusations he sexually assaulted a woman earlier this month in Cleveland.

Conley has been accused, but not charged, with assault in a hotel room the night of April 8.

"I pride myself on doing things the right way on and off the field," Conley said. "The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and do not fit my character at all. I realize that I put myself in the situation and I could have used better judgement. However, I have worked tirelessly to put myself in position to have the honor of being an NFL draft pick and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL Draft.

"These allegations appear to be an attempt to ruin this once in a lifetime experience for me and my family. There were several witnesses, including another female, who were present the entire time and have given statements that give an accurate account of what took place. We also have video evidence that further discredit and disprove other versions of these events. I am upset, but realize that I am powerless when false accusations are made and people try to convict you in the court of public opinion. It's sad that your name can get dragged through the mud based upon untrue and malicious allegations alone.

"I am completely confident that as the facts actually come out, my name will be cleared."

Conley also said that he is not staying in Philadelphia for Thursday's NFL Draft so that his presence doesn't take away from the experience for the rest of the players and families in attendance.

Trending