Game time announced for 122nd Battle For The Victory Bell
CINCINNATI (WKRC) – The University of Cincinnati and Miami (Ohio) University's 122nd Battle for the Victory Bell will kickoff at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017 at Yager Stadium in Oxford, Ohio.
The 8 p.m. kickoff is the first night football game for UC at Yager Stadum since Sept. 28, 2005. The UC-Miami series is the oldest non-conference series in the NCAA FBS, dating back to Dec. 8, 1888 when UC and MU met in the first intercollegiate football game played in the state of Ohio.
// THE VICTORY BELL
· Cincinnati and Miami (Ohio) play annually for the victory bell.
· The traveling trophy tradition began in the 1890’s when some Cincinnati fans “borrowed” the bell.
· The bell went to the winner of the annual game for the next 40 years until it disappeared in the 1930’s.
· The original bell reappeared in 1946 and hangs in Oxford.
· The current trophy is a replica of the original bell and is kept in the possession of the winning team each year.
// CINCINNATI-MIAMI SERIES NOTES
· The Miami-Cincinnati series ranks fifth on the list of most-played rivalries in college football and is the oldest Division I rivalry west of the Allegheny Mountains.
· After the 2010–12 NCAA conference realignment led to the end of several historic rivalries, it is now the most-played currently active rivalry involving schools from the same state, and also holds the same distinction among inter-conference rivalries.
· Of the more than 30 college football rivalries that include at least 89 games, none is older than Miami vs. Cincinnati.
· Overall, it is the second-oldest rivalry in the NCAA FBS, starting in 1888. The Michigan-Notre Dame rivalry predates UC-Miami by one year (1887).
· The two teams have played every year since 1945, not playing in 1943 or 1944, but UC and Miami also played every year from 1909 through 1942.
· Of the 121 meetings, 52 have been decided by seven points or less, including the seven ties in series history.
Information courtesy UC Athletics