UK releases non-conference schedule featuring 12 teams that made postseason in 2016-17
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKRC) - One of the goals of a schedule is to prepare a team for postseason play and the 2017-18 Kentucky men’s non-conference basketball schedule, which was unveiled Tuesday, checks off that box.
Twelve of UK’s 13 non-conference opponents in the upcoming season made a postseason tournament in 2017, including eight of which made the NCAA Tournament. Three of those advanced to the Sweet 16 or better.
Five teams finished the 2016-17 season with an RPI in the top 50 and four ended the season in both the Associated Press Top 25 and USA Today Coaches’ Poll. All told, Kentucky’s 2017-18 non-conference opponents combined for a record of 314-134 in 2016-17, a .701 winning percentage.
Here are the non-conference opponents and click here for more information on the schedule:
- Nov. 10 vs. Utah Valley in Rupp Arena. Note: The Wolverines are coached by 1996 Kentucky men’s basketball national championship player Mark Pope. The matchup is one of seven first-time opponents for UK. Two days later, Kentucky will host another first-time opponent in Vermont, which posted a 29-6 record in 2016-17 in addition to an NCAA Tournament appearance.
- Nov. 12 vs. Vermont in Rupp Arena.
- Nov. 14 vs. Kansas in Chicago
- Nov. 17 (Adolph Rupp Classic) vs. East Tennessee State in Rupp Arena.
- Nov. 20 (Adolph Rupp Classic) vs. Troy in Rupp Arena.
- Nov. 22 (Adolph Rupp Classic) vs. Fort Wayne in Rupp Arena.
- Nov. 22 (Adolph Rupp Classic) vs. UIC in Rupp Arena.
- Dec. 2 vs. Harvard in Rupp Arena.
- Dec. 9 vs. Monmouth in Madison Square Garden, New York.
- Dec. 16 vs. Virginia Tech in Rupp Arena.
- Dec. 23 vs. UCLA in New Orleans.
- Dec. 29 vs. Louisville in Rupp Arena.
- Jan. 27 at West Virginia.