LOCAL 12 - Search Results
Grandmother Petitions for Safer Tide Laundry Pods after Toddler Poison Scare
CHICAGO, IL (WKRC) -- A grandmother whose grandson went to the emergency room earlier this month because he ingested a Tide laundry pod had launched a petition.
The Change.org petition calls on Procter and Gamble to take more steps to protect children from ingesting Tide laundry pods.
In a press release from the Communications Manager of Change.org, Grandmother Erica Johnson says, "Tide needs to make sure the packaging reflects the unique, extreme dangers these candy-like pods carry compared to their liquid or powder detergent products."
Johnson's 15 month old grandson, Dakari, bit into a Tide Pod thinking it was candy. He suffered from rashes, diarrhea, and vomiting while in the hospital for two days.
According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, in 2013 more than 5,700 children in the US were similarly affected by Tide Pods. A 7 month old child in Florida even died.
Procter and Gamble announced in July they would be making changes to the packaging.
Tide features warning labels online about the product's dangers.
But Johnson thinks the company can do more saying, "Busy working folks don't carry around the whole container of pods when we go out to do our laundry, so that's why it's so important that I can work with Tide to figure out a way to put protection around each individual pod."
More than 23,000 people have signed the Change.org petition started by Erica Johnson.
Senior Campaigner at Change.org, Pulin Modi, says, "It's clear from the petition and its comments that consumers like these laundry pods, but feel they should have a different look that's less appealing to children."
Live signature totals from Erica Johnson's petition: Click HERE