LOCAL 12 - Search Results
Barn fire kills goats in Batavia Township
BATAVIA TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WKRC) -- A goat owner in Batavia Township is forced to deal with the loss of his show animals, after his barn goes up in flames.
The fire started in the barn on Apple Road at about 7 a.m. Wednesday. Six goats died in the fire; two adult males, two adult females and two kids. They were goats the owner took to shows nationwide.
19-year-old Tyler Puckett, who owns the goats, woke this morning to a phone call alerting him to the fire. "This is my livelihood. This is the only thing I do is work, school and goats, that's my life, that's been my life for the last 7 years. That's just something you don't get over. I've lost goats before but I've never lost anything this big."
Puckett says a heat lamp placed in the barn for one of the baby goats may have started the fire. Two goats did survive.
The barn is destroyed but firefighters remained on the scene for a while to put out hot spots. Puckett said that due to the loss, he's not sure if he will be able to pick-up and start over again.
Aside from the goats, no one else was hurt.
Follow us on Twitter @Local12 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates!