LOCAL 12 - Search Results
24 people sickened by gastrointestinal bug
COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, Ohio (Angenette Levy) -- An assisted living facility in Colerain Township is dealing with a possible outbreak of norovirus.
It's a stubborn bug that can cause dehydration. CLICK HERE for more information about the illness from Local 12 Medical Reporter, Liz Bonis.
Behind the walls of Atria Northgate Park Assisted Living Center lives a virus that's infected some who live there. The sign on the front door warns against entering. Nicholas Hisle's 88-year-old grandmother is ill.
"They called today and said she was having issues so we came over and got some medicine from the doctor for her," he tells us.
23 residents and a food handler are sick. Health officials suspect norovirus is to blame. Despite a quarantine, some residents ventured out.
Sr. Tish Rawles said, "They've taken every precaution. They've washed everything down. They gave me a mask to wear when I come back in tonight."
If this is indeed the norovirus it's extremely contagious. Those people who are sick and being told to stay in their rooms to stop this nasty bug from spreading.
Dr. Scott Woods said, "A norovirus is a little bit more intense than just the regular GI bug in that it causes a lot of vomiting. It tends to cause a little more fever. It tends to last longer."
Doctor Woods of Bethesda North says norovirus also causes diarrhea. It's most commonly spread by an infected person not washing his or her hands probably and then handling food.
The hope is that no one else at Atria becomes sick. Most people have symptoms 24-hours after exposure.
A spokesperson for Atria Northgate Park says they are following the lead of the Hamilton County Health Department in dealing with the outbreak. Norovirus can be serious for children and older adults.