LOCAL 12 - Search Results
Woman arrested in connection to murder of her son
GHENT, Ky. (Jeff Hirsh) -- A Ghent woman was arrested at her home Tuesday in connection to the murder of her two-year-old son who died from an overdose of Oxycodone.
Liberty street in the tiny town of Ghent, Kentucky along the Ohio River is a quiet place where dogs can safely cross the block and cats can quietly relax. But state police say something very disquieting happened in this house.
Trooper Bradley Arterburn of the Kentucky State Police said, "The child had Oxycodone in his system. There are several pills which could have been used to get Oxycodone into his system. We're not exactly sure which one but it was Oxycodone."
Now the boy's father, 26-year-old Douglas Allen, has been charged with murder. The boy's mother and Allen's girlfriend, 28-year-old Amanda Foster, has been charged with related crimes.
Police say the night of February 18th, Allen gave his 2-year-old son some Oxycodone, a narcotic pain reliever.
"From what we can tell this was a normal 2-year-old child and to get the child to calm down and go to sleep this was the normal solution," said Arterburn.
The boy's mother called 911 the next day, saying their son was dead.
Allen was not charged for a couple of weeks, until toxicology reports came back showing a high level of Oxycodone in the child. Then, Tuesday, the mother, Amanda Foster, was charged with criminal abuse and transfer of a controlled substance to a child. Police say both the mother and father had given Oxycodone to the boy before but the father gave the fatal dose, hence the murder charge.
A neighbor said, "Well I think all of us, we wish there was something we could have done beforehand, because there were a lot of people who could have taken care of the child and not done something like this. I wish we knew before and could have put a stop to it but unfortunately it came to this end."
Most people, if their child would not go to sleep would read to him, or talk to him, or snuggle, or maybe just let him cry himself to sleep. But this couple allegedly gave their son narcotics. It worked, he's asleep.
Follow Jeff Hirsh on Twitter @local12jeff and LIKE him on Facebook