Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Where is Walter? World War I vet case re-opened

CINCINNATI (Deb Dixon) -- A man wanted to fight for his country so bad he lied about his age so he could.

If there were a grave for Walter Dunson, it would acknowledge his bronze star for bravery.  But there isn't.  There is no question Walter is dead, the question is where is his body?
What happened to Walter, how did he die and where is his body?  These questions go back to 1998.  But Detective Kimberly Kelley has renewed interest.

"He's a veteran, was in World War I.  It would be nice to bury him," she said.

Detective Kelley got out the missing person file after a Missouri woman researching family history thought Cincinnati's Walter Dunson might have been a relative.  He was not, but the detective found reasons to re-open Walter Dunson's 16-year-old case.
The disturbing mystery goes back to June 5th, 1998.  Walter's son reported his 98-year-old father missing.  Gary Adams says he took Walter Dunson to Findlay Market and he walked away.  Vanished.
Adams told police his father moved in with him twenty years earlier.  After Walter disappeared a sketch went up all over Findlay Market because no one had pictures of Walter Dunson.

Bryan Byas is Gary Adams son.  He lived with Gary, his step mom, and step brothers in a Kennedy Heights Home for a while in 1988, a decade before Walter was reported missing.

Here's what we do know about Walter Dunson.  He started collecting a pension from a now defunct foundry on Colerain Avenue in 1970.  Walter was alive in 1980 because Gary Adams took him to the ER at University but got tired of waiting and left.  Walter disappeared four days after Social Security sent a letter announcing a routine welfare check of Walter.
Gary Adams admits cashing his father's pension and social security checks for him but says he was alive.  The story didn't add up to Social Security.  Adams went to prison for 24 months for cashing the checks.

Gary's wife did not want to be part of this story.  If she passed Deb Dixon's questions to Gary, he didn't call back.  They are simple:
How did Walter die?
And where is his body?
Brian Byas, who was in the Navy, thinks his grandfather deserves better.  After all, he fought for his country and even said he was older than he was to do so.  Walter Dunson's case has never been closed.  Detective Kelley will follow any tips that might come in through Crime Stoppers.
You can call the hotline at 513-352-3040.

Follow Deborah Dixon on Twitter @crimestopperdeb and LIKE her on Facebook




Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!