Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Two children hit by car in serious condition

SOUTH FAIRMOUNT, Ohio (Angela Ingram) -- A driver lost control of her car and slammed into two children riding their bikes on the sidewalk.
Wednesday night those boys remain in the hospital with serious injuries.  Police said the driver of the car may have been impaired when she hit the boys.  Officers tested her for drugs and alcohol.
Witnesses to the accident said she hit the two children so hard that the smaller boy flew into the air before slamming onto the pavement.  Twisted bikes rested where the boys were hit were on Westwood Avenue.  One of the victims, a nine-year-old, was well-known to workers of a local tire shop.  They said he rode his bicycle nearly every day.

"He stops by, gets air in his tire, just checks up on his bike," said Roland Patterson of Tri-State Tires.  "He's a nice kid, always looking out for his sister.  Get off the bus, goes home, gets the bike, hops on and rides."
Police say shortly before 3:30p.m. Wednesday afternoon the nine-year-old and his 11-year-old friend were riding their bikes.  Officers say Crystal Weldy lost control in a curve and hit the two boys.

Lt. Lisa Davis of the Cincinnati Police said, "They were both riding their bikes on the sidewalk when a female driver jumped the sidewalk, striking them.  One child was pushed into the air and sustained a serious skull fracture and possibly a broken leg."
Weldy's young son was in the car with her at the time.  She immediately stopped and medics rushed the boys to Children's Hospital.  Neither Weldy nor her seven-year-old were hurt.
Witnesses say they immediately knew the boys needed emergency help.  Workers at the tire shop say just an hour before the accident, their young friend was in again for a visit.  They told him to be careful before he rode off on his bike.

Anthony Griffing of Tri-State Tires said, "I tell all the little kids around the block, 'Stay off the street, everybody's not paying attention,' and I guess he listened and somebody came and it's tragic."

Police say it may take several weeks to determine whether they're going to charge the driver.  They have to wait for toxicology reports to come return.  Weldy's car was towed and is being held for the investigation.

Follow Angela Ingram on Twitter @newslaw1 and LIKE her on Facebook




Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!