Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Deadly buzz: Teen dies of caffeine overdose

LAGRANGE, Ohio (WKRC) -- A new way to get a caffeine fix that is becoming more popular with teens turned deadly.

Authorities said 18-year-old Logan Stiner, from LaGrange, Ohio near Cleveland, died of a caffeine overdose.  An investigation revealed the top student and star athlete had a toxic level of caffeine in his blood after using caffeine powder.

The coroner who conducted Stiner's autopsy said the powder is becoming more popular.  It's sold online under brand names like "Aero Shot."  It can be mixed with water or cola or can be inhaled by snorting it.
Just 1/16 of a teaspoon has as much caffeine as a can of Mountain Dew.  A group of senators asked for an FDA review because of the danger of mixing caffeine powder with alcohol.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D) of New York said, "Caffeine allows you to drink much more alcohol.  But if you do it by drinking coffee at least you have to fill up with cups and cups of coffee.  10 or 12 snorts of this and you can drink an unseemly amount of alcohol."

Investigators said they're not sure how much caffeine powder Stiner ingested because he was alone at the time.

Click here to watch story

Follow us on Twitter @Local12 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates!



Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!