Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Finding cause of two mysterious deaths could take 4-6 weeks

NEWPORT, Ky. (Joe Webb) -- Two people were found dead in a home over the weekend and Monday night their deaths were still suspicious and unexplained.

Neighbors found the bodies of Tina Crabtree and Greg Campbell in the apartment they shared on Roberts Street.  Police were called and are investigating but said there's no evidence of any crime.
So what happened?
Police said Crabtree was sitting at a table with a beer in front of her and Campbell was lying on a bed with the television on; both dead.  But there were no marks on them, no evidence of drugs, violence or any crime.  The cause of death is unknown and the unknowns have the family and neighbors on edge.

Everyone on Roberts Street seemed to know Tina Crabtree. They all said the same thing. They liked her and sometimes she drank too much. 

Loretta Cottingham knew her for 15 years and said, "She hangs out right in front of the house and sits. She was perfectly fine the last time I seen her and talked to her."
Crabtree and Campbell were last seen by neighbors Thursday evening.  After no one saw them Friday two neighbors went in the apartment to see if they were OK and found them dead.  They called police.  The upstairs apartment did not look like a crime scene.  There were no signs of violence or drug use. No wounds. No answers.  Crabtree's son was flabbergasted.

"She didn't use no drugs at all.  Don't make sense.  Like they just fell over dead. No signs of nothin' in the house," said Arthur Crabtree.  He said he didn't know anything about Greg Campbell.      

Neighbors didn't know much either, but said police were at 910 Roberts Wednesday looking for him.  Greg Campbell was a registered sex offender for the attempted rape of a 14-year-old.  He had registered at the address, which was just a few doors down from Holy Spirit Child Development Center, Holy Trinity School and their playgrounds.  Too close under Kentucky law. 

Autopsies have been done on both victims.  A deputy coroner said there was no obvious cause of death.  They were waiting for toxicology results; the neighbors are waiting, too.

Police originally thought carbon monoxide poisoning was a possibility.  The deputy coroner said that's been ruled out, she said Crabtree and Campbell had been dead about 24 hours when they were found.  Samples have been sent to the Kentucky State Crime Lab for toxicology tests.  Newport police said that will take from four to six weeks.  The deputy coroner said there was a chance they may have the results back by the end of the week.

Click here to watch story

Follow Joe Webb on Twitter @joewebbwkrc and LIKE him on Facebook



Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!