Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Killer of mother paroled without notice

FRANKFORT, Ky. (Deb Dixon) -- A family learns the man who killed a young mother was due to soon walk out of prison and they were never notified.

That killer was scheduled to walk free September 1, largely due to a mistake by the Kentucky Parole Board.  Reggie Graves choked the mother of his newborn baby and drowned her in the Licking River.  Kimberly Sipe's last gasp filled her lungs with river water, leaving her mother to raise 8-year-old Tyrone and Jaslin, the infant she would never know.

Kimberly was last seen walking where she might have been going to the Women's Crisis Center.  Kimberly had been receiving counseling after being beaten by her ex-boyfriend.  Kim broke off the abusive relationship with Graves, the new baby's father.  "If I can't have you nobody can," was the motive for her murder. 

Graves was sentenced to 50 years in prison for killing Kim.  He was a persistent felony offender at the time, imprisoned twice before Kim's murder for assaults.  Last week he was granted paroled after just 16 years.

Amanda Jones, Kimberly's sister, said, "Everything dropped for a minute, I was paralyzed.  All I could think of was how am I going to tell my mom?"

Amanda found out about the parole through Facebook, not the parole board.  The family was never notified about the hearing.  Even though they are supposed to get the chance to tell the board what they think and feel.  The reason? Human error, in 2007 the hard copy record was transferred to an electronic record and some of the information didn't transfer.

But Amanda had some things she wanted to say, "I testified against him.  I never liked him.  I knew he was abusing her, I didn't like it.  My fear is he'll come after me, my kids or Jaslin because she looks like Kim.  My mom, my sister, I don't have a lot of family.  It's small but it's mine."

Kim's mother wants the board to know about her broken family.  The little boy who grew up without his mom, Tyrone, is now a man fighting in Afghanistan.  Baby Jaslin is now a teenager.

When Amanda contacted Local 12 on Facebook they had already told her in writing it was too late to fix it.  Then the question was asked on why the board could not correct its own mistake.  Now members are meeting Monday to vote on whether to have a new parole hearing, this time allowing the family to have their say.

Friends and strangers have emailed the parole board.  Letters included one from Kim's son all the way from Afghanistan.  The community can send emails to the parole board through victim services.


In the email include Reggie Graves' inmate ID #: 131118

Click here to watch story

Follow Deborah Dixon on Twitter @crimestopperdeb and LIKE her on Facebook



Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!