Most Shared

LOCAL 12 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Surgery update for boy who swallowed battery

CINCINNATI (WKRC) -- Children's Hospital says the surgery to rebuild a little boy's throat Wednesday was successful.

When he was one-year-old, Emmett Rauch swallowed a small lithium battery, also called a button battery because of their size. It became lodged in his throat and burned through and nearly killed him. Three years later, he is unable to breath, eat or speak on his own.

Doctors at children's used part of Emmett's rib to rebuild his throat during the three hour surgery. Dr. Alessandro de Alarcon was able to do a two-stage endoscopic procedure. He also inserted a stent to hold Emmett's airway in place. That should be removed in two weeks.

Follow us on Twitter @Local12 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates!


 

 

Talkers

Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!