LOCAL 12 - Search Results
Pit Bull saves kids from bee swarm
OREGON CITY, Ore. (Kelsey Watts) -- An Oregon family said their pit bull was a hero.
It all started when some kids stepped on a bee hive. Freshly home from the hospital, 8-year-old Jesse-Cole Shaver hugged his dog a little tighter.
He was with his sisters and other neighborhood kids, exploring a creek down a steep embankment behind their Oregon City apartment complex, when one of the children stepped into a rotten log, unleashing swarms of bees.
Jasmine Jones, Jesse-Cole's big sister, said, "It felt like a bunch of needles went into my skin, and I didn't know what was going on until the girl started yelling, 'Bees!'"
Jasmine was stung five times in what could have been a deadly encounter because she's allergic to bees.
"And I got hit with an EpiPen two times," she said.
Meanwhile, little Jesse-Cole was stung at least 24 times his family can count. He couldn't make it back up the hill to safety on his own. But luckily, their pit bull "Hades" came to the rescue.
Jesse-Cole explained, "Hades saw me and came and she dragged me up to the grass and then stopped and let me crawl on her back and then took me to mom."
The children's mother said, "I just heard a bunch of screaming, then I saw my dog dragging my son up by his pants."
Their mother, who did not want to be identified, said even in the hospital doctors were pulling bees out of their hair. And if it weren't for a little help from Hades, their mother said the kids could have gotten really sick or died.
A four-legged family member determined to do her doggone best. And proving she sure did. Hades was also stung several times, but both the dog and the children were taken care of and are now home and doing just fine.
They said they won't be going down that trail behind their apartment complex ever again.
Click here to watch story
Follow us on Twitter @Local12 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates!