Man infected with flesh-eating bacteria, blames splash park
PEORIA, Ariz. (WKRC) - An Arizona man believes he was infected with a flesh-eating bacteria while at a popular place families visit to cool down, according to KPHO.
Jonathan Daggett began feeling nauseated, saw parts of his body swell, and had some of his skin start peeling off just days after he went to a local splash pad.
After arriving at a hospital, he had to be rushed into surgery when doctors diagnosed him with the flesh-eating bacteria.
Dr. Frank LoVecchio said it's impossible to know for sure where Daggett contracted the infection, but it's likely temperature related.
"Unfortunately, as the heat goes up, you're more likely to develop bacteria and bacterial growth," LoVecchio said.
The doctor said covering any open wounds and staying vigilant is the best way to stay safe from such bacteria infections.
"My message is pretty much, be careful with your kids. Investigate their body," LoVecchio said. "Look and see if they have any cuts or wounds. It's not a joke. It's really serious."
Daggett wants others to make sure they see a doctor immediately if they notice something wrong with their body.
"Some people come out as amputees like my leg could have been cut off, so it could have been a lot worse," he said.