Four-alarm fire at Superior Linen and Apparel

4 alarm fire does $400,000 in damage at Superior Linen and Apparel (WKRC)

WALNUT HILLS, Ohio (WKRC) - The Superior Linen and Apparel building was gutted by a 4-alarm fire Monday night.

Firefighters responded to the business on Wayne Street near Dover Street in Walnut Hills just after 10 p.m.

The building was reportedly 60 percent to 70 percent involved in the fire, according to the Cincinnati Fire Department.

A roof collapse kept firefighters from entering the building to fight the fire. Instead, they remained outside and fought the flames defensively. "We are using our powerful large caliber nozzles on our ladder trucks to control the blaze," said the Cincinnati Fire Department.

The Cincinnati Fire Department said in all 94 firefighters battled the blaze. More than eight hours later, they were still dropping water on the building to keep any hot spots from flaring up. No one was hurt.

Employees began arriving for work Tuesday morning only to see the damage. "When I seen it, I thought I ain't got no work to come to," said Abdul Hameen. He said the business was an enjoyable work there. "Everybody got along. It was like family there."

Superior Linen and Apparel had a sign on the building indicating it was hiring.

According to the Cincinnati Fire Department, Superior Linen and Apparel has been family owned since 1927. According to its website, it supplies linens to Greater Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, north and central Kentucky and southeastern Indiana.

This is the third time the building has been destroyed.

"The original plant was located across from Crosley Field, the old home of the Cincinnati Reds. That plant was once put out of business for 26 weeks when the flood of 1937 had it submerged under 80 feet of water. Then, during World War II, they were barely able to stay in business because of labor shortages and rationing of tires, trucks and other supplies," said the company on its website. "Still, they persevered. In 1960, the plant was met with disaster yet again, this time burning to the ground. In just four months they were back in business, operating out of our plant at its present location on Wayne St. in Cincinnati."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off