Man with previous murder conviction up for parole after killing Boone Co. couple

Man with previous murder conviction up for parole after killing Boone Co. couple (WKRC)

BBONE COUNTY, Ky. (WKRC) - It was a crime that stunned the Boone County community: A couple was found shot to death on the porch of their 33-acre farm.

It took years to solve the 1986 murders of Pauline and William McDavid, now the parole fight is now left to a woman who was 7-years-old at the time.

There were signs the couple fought for their lives in their farmhouse. Glass in the window was broken from the inside.

61-year-old William and 59-year-old Pauline were dead on the porch. They owned Skyway Liquors on Donaldson Road.

"Why would anyone kill that man and woman, as good as they were? They would have given anything if asked for it,” said the couple’s granddaughter, Erika Hancock.

That was the day many lives changed. Granddaughter Erika Hancock remembers watching her mother cry. She was 7-years-old at the time.

"I remember being very innocent, telling my mom God needed them in heaven. Typical 7-year-old response until I watched it destroy her,” said Hancock.

Destroyed by loss and fear. It took four years for three men to be charged in the robbery plot-turned murder.

One posed as a pizza delivery man, the other was the getaway driver. James Dixon was the shooter.

In 1990, Dixon was sentenced to two life terms for the murders. The other two men are already paroled, and Erika's mother died believing that could never happen with James Dixon. She was wrong.

Dixon’s parole hearing is next week. Erika's mother put a lot of blame on the parole board for her parents' murders because of what happened four years before that.

"He [Dixon] was involved in murder of his stepdad… beat him with baseball bat, put him in a car, and drove car over cliff for insurance money,” said Hancock.

Department of Corrections records show Dixon was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 1982 for that murder. The next year he escaped and had two years added on to that after he was caught.

But still, he was paroled in September of 1985. Six months later, he shot the McDavids.

"If they hadn't paroled him, there’s a good chance they [the McDavids] would still be her,” said Hancock.

Erika says Dixon does not deserve a third chance.

"I am here because I don't want him to put another family through that,” said Hancock.

That's what Erika will tell the parole board on Monday while she tries to explain what murder did to her family.

The family meets with the parole board on Monday. James Dixon has his parole hearing the next day.

There is time to send your messages to the Kentucky Parole Board by emailing

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off