Nebraska 911 dispatcher answers call to his own home catching fire
DOUGLAS COUNTY, Nebraska (WKRC) - Bill Wiese was going through his typical workday at the Douglas County Dispatch Center when a call came in for a house fire.
The caller's GPS told him that the call was coming from a street he knew all too well. It was his street.
"She gave an address that was a few off from this one and in my head I'm like oh no I'm trying to think of who it could be on the street but then she corrected it to be MY address," said Wiese to KETV News.
Wiese's home was on fire. Once fire crews were dispatched, he called his fiance. He was relieved to hear that she was at a dance along with their two daughters.
Investigators say that it was an electrical fire sparked near a TV mounted on a wall.
Sadly, the family pet, a cat, did no survive. Wiese knows that, after all the calls he has taken, it could have been worse.
"I feel sad that our pet passed away, I feel grateful that none of my family got hurt... cause I don't think I could have taken that," said Wiese.